View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:25 AM
yes i am going to try without asbo i think, i need to get going.. failed a bit again this week but its just because ive been so busy!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I saw a guide on training a dog to run alongside you on another forum the other week but the forum's now banned on work's internet filter Will try to remember to find the link tonight. I find Halti training leads great for running with the dogs.

Found this mini guide, not sure if it's the same one, but may help?
http://www.runnersworld.com/dogrun/f.../training.html
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm currently mid way through week 3 and finding it fairly hard going but by no means impossible and I'm yet to fail a run (although I have come very close to throwing up and passing out!). I run with the little whippet off lead on our usual route through the woods/fields but generally at about 8/9 at night where we're unlikely to see any other walkers. At first she was intent on attacking my feet every time I started jogging but now she zooms along relatively close to me, stopping to sniff occasionally befoe catching me back up. She'll actually ignore other dogs/walkers when I'm running in order to chase me so it seems to be working pretty well so far
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Kiki gets quite like that, we even ran past a cat one week without her noticing! I wouldn't like to test the theory with her off-lead though, haha. Casper is still noticing other dogs in the field but not focusing on them too much, and the three of us were oblivious to the small herd of cows hiding amongst long grass until we were literally about 2 metres from them (dogs remained oblivious too, fortunately they're pretty docile cows which is why I don't mind running in there, but I do usually try to give them some space!)

Unfortunately I just started week 3 and my knee is playing up again, argh. I did run Friday/Monday/Weds/Friday so not due to run again until tomorrow but will see how it feels. Annoying as I'm really getting into it and so are both the dogs.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Isn't your whippet your pup Louise? I would have thought running with a pup is a bad idea. Especially as week 3 you run for 3 minutes.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Isn't your whippet your pup Louise? I would have thought running with a pup is a bad idea. Especially as week 3 you run for 3 minutes.
6 months old, she is walked for a maximum of 30 minutes a day and I don't run so much as trot pathetically along gasping like I'm dying while she does her usual zooming about. She runs no faster or longer when I'm doing a C25K day as she does on a normal walk I could understand the concern if I was a seasoned runner doing 8 minute miles but my running speed is barely faster than my walking speed for the time being.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
6 months old, she is walked for a maximum of 30 minutes a day and I don't run so much as trot pathetically along gasping like I'm dying while she does her usual zooming about. She runs no faster or longer when I'm doing a C25K day as she does on a normal walk I could understand the concern if I was a seasoned runner doing 8 minute miles but my running speed is barely faster than my walking speed for the time being.
Makes sense then and sorry but had to laugh at your description of your running style
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post

Unfortunately I just started week 3 and my knee is playing up again, argh. I did run Friday/Monday/Weds/Friday so not due to run again until tomorrow but will see how it feels. Annoying as I'm really getting into it and so are both the dogs.
Sorry to hear that your knee is giving you more grief. Have you done your exercises for it? Maybe try some other running shoes?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 07:10 AM
I haven't done any exercises as it's different to the pain I used to get - relates to me overstretching it (started a program to learn the splits, didn't think I was pushing myself too far but guess I did!) and doing some soft tissue damage. I am debating new shoes, but I haven't run on it since Friday and if anything it's worse today than it has been all week Might be a trip back to doctors to insist on a physio referall this time, but I bet that takes its time.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Everyone's different, but I actually found my dodgy knees improved from frequent short runs on rough ground. I also find that cycling builds up the muscles that keep the knee cap from going off to the side too much....as long as you get your saddle/handlebar set up right.

Well worth getting a physio appointment, especially if you can find a sports physio.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >