View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 07:57 AM
OH has asked me what I want for my birthday (all the way in August - at least he doesn't forget ) so I said that maybe if I get into this running stuff seriously, he can buy me some decent trainers. Good to hear recommendations so will keep those in mind!
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
OH has asked me what I want for my birthday (all the way in August - at least he doesn't forget ) so I said that maybe if I get into this running stuff seriously, he can buy me some decent trainers. Good to hear recommendations so will keep those in mind!
Obviously depends on your foot shape (I've got quite narrow heels and high-ish arches) but I think the Salomon trail shoes for normal gait are really good. I haven't bothered worrying about whether I under or over-pronate, as a)I'm not really sure what it means, and b) I don't think I run for long enough to worry about it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Glad you liked it Helen!
Gives me a buzz/energy boost afterwards, makes me not hungry too which I always think is odd.
its normal to feel hungry after exercise
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 05:26 PM
After this thread starting again, I went out today with Rob and we thoroughly enjoyed it, as did the dogs

Helen
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Week 4 starts today, weather permitting.
Might stick this elsewhere if it gets missed, but for the more active amongst us - as well as the running, I want to get back into pole dancing (for exercise) and as well as pole work, I want to do exercises for upper body strength and flexibility (e.g. splits training). With the running, when am I best to fit the other stuff in? The same day, counting the run as a warmup? I could probably manage the stretches after a run but maybe not a pole session. Will doing more physical stuff on alternate days to running ruin the point of a rest day? Pole does involve leg work but mostly upper body stuff really, at least until you get good enough to do the fancy invert stuff, hanging by your ankles
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Week 4 starts today, weather permitting.
Might stick this elsewhere if it gets missed, but for the more active amongst us - as well as the running, I want to get back into pole dancing (for exercise) and as well as pole work, I want to do exercises for upper body strength and flexibility (e.g. splits training). With the running, when am I best to fit the other stuff in? The same day, counting the run as a warmup? I could probably manage the stretches after a run but maybe not a pole session. Will doing more physical stuff on alternate days to running ruin the point of a rest day? Pole does involve leg work but mostly upper body stuff really, at least until you get good enough to do the fancy invert stuff, hanging by your ankles
Wow, I've never thought of pole dancing for cross-training! I guess if times get tough, you could always make some money from it too!!

I don't take total rest days from exercise, but alternate cycling days with running or swimming days. I go for a short (10 min) run every day, and I try to stretch every day too. If I haven't cycled, swum or done a longer run, I'll try to do a bit of Pilates. Sadly that's getting more and more important to stop my ageing muscles and joints from seizing up!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:37 PM
So, has anyone else stuck at this? Not long after my last post (after the last week 4 run) I injured my knee and it took just over a month to get better. Then we've had the rubbish weather so I've waited for the field to dry out a bit. Took advantage of today's dry weather and got myself back out there!
I decided to brave taking both mutts and it actually worked better than just Kiki alone. Constructed a DIY running belt by combining three Halti training leads, their headcollars and harnesses. The headcollars were slack, but available to grab in an emergency, and the harnesses were connected to each other but around my waist. This worked really well because if the dogs went to pull ahead, instead of pulling me, they pulled against each other - they have a lot more strength in them than me but are very evenly matched so neither could pull the other back, and as a result they both maintained an even pace with barely any pulling. It was a much more enjoyable run and I'm pleasantly tired from it now Can't wait to get back into it. I started back on week 2 just to give my knee a gentle reintroduction and to see how Casper got on with the stop/start nature of it, I think we both did pretty well.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Well done. The only times I've tried running with both dogs has been pretty chaotic. Saba (the pointer) just wants to go as fast as possible, and big Frodo wants to lumber along at a gentleman's pace, stopping to sniff interesting things.

It's too hot to run with the dogs here at the moment, but I'm missing it. Maybe I should run on my own, but it's just not the same.....
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I failed miserably and didn't even do the first week! But I am starting again tomorrow even if it's raining, because I need to get back into shape before hunting season starts otherwise I may die whilst out

So I'm starting again and will stick at it this time. Don't know whether to take asbo this time or try it on my own. I could do with a longer lead for him really, or to be able to clip him on to me somewhere.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-06-2012, 08:27 AM
We had a cool day yesterday, so we harnessed up and off we went. Completely overdid it, and I ache in muscles I didn't know I had today!

X-Clo-X: maybe try doing a few runs without Asbo to get yourself into it, before worrying about controlling him too?
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >