Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Sounds like your body is getting used to it now
I'm going to have a go at my first run on week 2 tomorrow morning, I've been to agility this afternoon so should be interesting to see how my legs cope!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Did the first week 2 run this morning, think I slightly pulled a muscle yesterday at agility so a bit sore now.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 01:42 PM
I've been running on and off for 2 years now, and the best advice I give is - joint supplements...

Jogging/Running is a high impact exercise, and if you've not done it before (or are a bit overweight etc), and aren't wearing decent shoes etc, you can do your knees and ankles some serious damage (not to mention hips etc).

I started taking glucosamine and cod liver oil, and I wouldn't be without them now!

Also, if you're thinking of going further than the C25K - invest in a decent pair of running trainers. Multi-purpose ones just don't provide the support your feet/ankles need for running (especially if you're on pavements etc)...

2 years ago, I couldn't run 100m. Last year I completed 2 10K runs in 7 days.... not bad for an overweight 30-something!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that!
I used to take glucosamine but stopped when I stopped running, Now just Teg has it! Will have to start again.
I'm going to see how I go then maybe invest in some new trainers, although can't really afford to spend loads on trainers atm
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I got mine from Ebay - chucked them in the wash before I used them, but I'm not too bothered about secondhand shoes. I've had knee problems in the past and had to quit going to the gym as the stuff I used most often (treadmill, bike, etc.) just aggravated them, so far so good with the C25K though I'm making a point of running on grass though, I will work my way up to running on pavements once my legs/muscles are a bit stronger!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I would like to just run on grass but unless I do a 10 min walk to the park first that isn't an option. But when I'm at the park I do tend to run on the paths not grass because I find it easier!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I've had knee problems in the past and had to quit going to the gym as the stuff I used most often (treadmill, bike, etc.) just aggravated them, so far so good with the C25K though I'm making a point of running on grass though, I will work my way up to running on pavements once my legs/muscles are a bit stronger!
Have you tried supplements? When I started running, my knees were agony - since I started taking supplements, they are loads better!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 03:33 PM
i start my first one tomorrow! ive downloaded all the 9 weeks podcasts, and im going to do my runs on monday wednesday and friday for now..

will let you know how we get on in the morning.. i just thought though, i dont have a belt to attach asbo's lead to, i will just be holding it, hope this isnt a problem though.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Have you tried supplements? When I started running, my knees were agony - since I started taking supplements, they are loads better!
It's to do with unequal muscles pulling the kneecap at the wrong angle, apparently fairly common in women, had physio for it and if I do my exercises it's not so bad but I get lazy! The bicyle at the gym just seemed to aggravate it, using the wrong muscles I think. I've been trying to eat healthier lately too so hopefully that will help, but I guess I could share the dogs' supplements!

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i start my first one tomorrow! ive downloaded all the 9 weeks podcasts, and im going to do my runs on monday wednesday and friday for now..

will let you know how we get on in the morning.. i just thought though, i dont have a belt to attach asbo's lead to, i will just be holding it, hope this isnt a problem though.
I just use a Halti lead and clip it around me. One end fits perfectly and sits just on my hips, though I intend to sew a proper belt thing eventually.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 08:05 PM
I just used a halti lead round my waist too.
Now have a running/walking belt from Kisi, will find you a link when on my comp if you like? Reasonably priced and I find makes a big difference, although with the size of Asbo you might not notice!
One thing to consider if you're holding the lead is do you move your arms much?! I find it really restrictive holding the lead and I can't jog properly
Have fun tomorrow!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »