register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 87 of 92 « First < 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 > Last »
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
C&D

I thought the yellowstone wolves were reintroduced into the park not that long ago after there being none there for a long time?? If that is the case then they are not a natural pack in a natural environment, it is an artificail environment with far too much prey because there havent been enough hunters in the past. That means that at the moment the wolves there are not in a stable relationship with the environment and so it is not a natural situation
Yes, I believe they were introduced and have bred, not sure how long ago but it wasn't that long ago..

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
...I agree-yellowstone is still an artifical situation. The wolves here have little to fear and plenty of prey. They are also 'managed' when they reach the limit park. The worst part is that they are partly habituated to humans, who leave hamburgers in the hope of getting a wolf to come over for a photo opportunity.
Hi, do you mean that wolves are taken away or something else? not sure but it would be interesting to know...

Wys
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Or we could all listen to some hairy guy with a sad collection of half-tamed wolves and a book deal.
That's extremely childish and just plain nasty ClaireandDaisy

Please can we keep this thread nice and friendly, else it will be locked, and that would be a shame
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, I believe they were introduced and have bred, not sure how long ago but it wasn't that long ago..

Wys
x
Ben & Wys:

Yes, they were introduced originally and have bred very successfully. There are now several large packs I believe in Yellowstone, but it is incorrect to say this environment is unnatural. It may be quite true that people (stupidly) are feeding them hamburgers, but this does not detract from the fact that these wolves are living wild and naturally ... and in a situation which is the most natural ... because they are not being persecuted by man. Wolves have no other predator except for man. The unnatural explosion worldwide of the human species has put a tremendous strain on the wild wolf, because until the start of this explosion, man and wolf lived in harmony.

So what we see in YS is how wolves were meant to live ... in large packs, numbering as many as 50 individuals, with alpha male and female as Pack Leaders, with the lower ranks performing all the necessary tasks to keep harmony within the pack.

This is not me manipulating DM's words to suit my argument. This is what DM says about Yellowstone:

"When more than 1 female breeds in a pack, the females may become more competitive, so it is probably appropriate to refer to the original matriarch as the alpha female and to her daughters as "betas". He then goes on to say "While it is not incorrect to use alpha when applied to packs of multiple breeders, it would be possible and even desirable to use less loaded terminology. For example, the top-ranking female could be called the dominant female or the matriarch, and her breeding daughters, the subordinates".

Mech has a problem with the word "alpha", because he goes on to say that the public's perception of a wolf pack (due to this terminology) is of an aggressive assortment of wolves consistently competing with each other to take over the pack. Which is of course totally erroneous.

It is also totally erroneous to say that Mech does not believe in the reality of alpha male and alpha female, he does, it is the wording he does not like. In addition to this, the sad state on Ellesmere Island where the living was so poor that the wolves could not thrive sufficiently to build up a proper pack, led to him to revise his original opinions.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice one from Dr Overall there ...

Wys
x
I've got this lovely image in my mind of Julie Walters playing Mrs Overall in that lovely sitcom ... what was it called? Cleaning Ladies, or something like that !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Perhaps there is some confusion between Ellsemere Island in the arctic circle which Mech visited every summer during the 80s and 90s and Isle Royale (in lake michigan was it) where he studied as a student and in his early career- here the wolves were trapped on the island and suffered from inbreeding after a population boom and a decline in line with the over stretching of resources?

I agree-yellowstone is still an artifical situation. The wolves here have little to fear and plenty of prey. They are also 'managed' when they reach the limit park. The worst part is that they are partly habituated to humans, who leave hamburgers in the hope of getting a wolf to come over for a photo opportunity.
No, I am clear that I am talking about Ellesmere Island. It is up near the north pole, and therefore living is very harsh. You could say that THAT is an artificial situation, because wolves have been driven there by man. The situation in Yellowstone is far more like the conditions wolves would have enjoyed before the white man discovered America. The northern american indians lived in harmony with their wolf brothers, they did not persecute them.

IMO it is a right ******'s muddle !
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, I am clear that I am talking about Ellesmere Island. It is up near the north pole, and therefore living is very harsh. You could say that THAT is an artificial situation, because wolves have been driven there by man. The situation in Yellowstone is far more like the conditions wolves would have enjoyed before the white man discovered America. The northern american indians lived in harmony with their wolf brothers, they did not persecute them.

IMO it is a right ******'s muddle !
Don't think that the wolves were driven there; some bones from den sites were radio carbon dated to be over 300 years old; indicating continual use of the den for centuries. I don't agree that their situation is artificial -wolves live like this all over the tundra from Alaska to the North West Territories.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi, do you mean that wolves are taken away or something else? not sure but it would be interesting to know...

Wys
x
They go out of the park, they kill livestock; they get shot. This is the 'non essential' clause in the governments program for the release of ALL wolves in the US.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I wish I had more time to debate this but I am in the middle of revising for exams and so can only pop in with very short posts (well shortish!)

I don't see how you can interpret that from Mech's writing and I think he'd be quite shocked if he heard that you had I don't think you can say one particular group denotes "correct" model! Particularly as it's unusually large and has no predators itself, which is not natural .

Man has always been a predator of the wolf and so the Yellowstone "protected" pack isn't normal as the natural predator isn't around ...

"Natural" is surely everywhere wolves are, whether it's Ethiopia, Europe or Ellesmere or Yellowstone - each group will adapt anyway to the environment or else cease to exist. I don't think we can say one group is more "real" than another.

I see, phew...was worried for a moment...

He says Yellowstone is unusual in the world because itis very large, and so has several parent groups and they could be referred to as alphas ... I can't quite remember the exact details of his video but I do recall him pretty much sounding as if the alpha term was being stretched in that context...

Wys
x
Correct is possibly not a good word, Wys. Perhaps "natural" would be nearer the mark. Wolves do not have any predators, other than man. And until the arrival of the white man, the native american indians lived in harmony with their wolf "brothers". They did not persecute them, as we did here in the UK for instance, such that they became extinct here. The wolf has really only been persecuted in such a way since the advent of christianity, when the wolf for some reason became the Devil Incarnate ... literally. The wild savage beast, eating babies and grannies, is just a myth promulgated by religious fanatics. In reality, the wolf is a timorous, almost cowardly, animal, avoiding confrontation wherever possible.

Aside from the religious nutters, when man turned from the Hunter Gatherer way of life towards farming with penned livestock presenting an irresistable meal for a pack of wolves, then the new farmers would defend their herds and their flocks, thus coming into confrontation with the wolf. Man, by settling down and claiming land as his own, started off the long persecution of the wolf. However, many if not all of the northern american tribes lived in harmony with wolves, "harvesting" them no doubt for their warm skins, but only taking the weak, the elderly and the sick.

The fact that in a successful pack of wolves, living where the hunting is good, there is an Alpha male and female, with the lower ranks doing all the work, is proof positive that this is the true way of wolves. Before man's persecution, the wolf had NO predators, the world he inhabited was his oyster, and he had the pick of places to live, hunt and thrive.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't think that the wolves were driven there; some bones from den sites were radio carbon dated to be over 300 years old; indicating continual use of the den for centuries. I don't agree that their situation is artificial -wolves live like this all over the tundra from Alaska to the North West Territories.
Yes, this is true Wolfdog ... because man has driven them there !! By driven, I mean forced them out by taking their hunting grounds and persecuting them. Wolves would much rather live where the living is easy, the only reason they are found on hostile places like Ellesmere Island is because they are left in relative peace there. Were a huge oilfield discovered there, or a gold mine, doubtless that would be the end of wolf habitation on Ellesmere Island !
Page 87 of 92 « First < 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 > Last »