Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alex Cloke
New Member!
Male 

15-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Hello everyone! Dog bed wash went all wrong

Hi,
I bought a large piece of Vet Bed Gold, it was lovely, soft and fluffy. After a couple of weeks it needed cleaning. So I put it in my washing machine(just a normal sized one for the house, not one of those big industrial washers) and when it came out, all the fluffiness had gone and it was just this peice of flat material. Really dissapointed as it was so nice before and it cost me 70 pounds. Before I washed it, I phoned the company I bought it from or the vet bed comany, can't remember, and they said washing it in the washing machine would be fine. Spoke to my vet, she said that I should've used a non biological powder, as I had used a biological one.

Does anyone out there know how to wash these vet beds and keep them in good condition? Would washing it in the bath in the old fashioned way be the answer?

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, as I would like to buy another piece.

Thanks for reading this.

Alex and dogs.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Welcome to Dogweb!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Firstly, greetings, and welcome to Dogweb!

Sorry, I'm not able to answer your question, as I'm in much the same position myself, with a plump doggy-mattress needing the numerous muddy pawmarks cleaned off it (and a washing machine that may well be too small for the task). I'll probably go for the traditional "put it in the bath and stamp on it" method, but, bear in mind that mine is NOT the same as yours!

However, I'm sure there will be another Dogwebber along soon, who will be able to sort out the problem - the DW membership is the fount of all knowledge, dog-related or otherwise!

Snorri
(the daft one from the Twilight Zone, with the two mad Border Collies)
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Alex and a very warm welcome to Dogweb

I don't use Vet bed now but I did when my dog was a puppy, I am sure I used Biological powder like Surf or Daz - I would have thought the temperature would have more to do with how it ended up than the washing powder to be honest. What temperature did you wash it at?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 01:46 PM
welcome to dogweb ...vet bed user here never had any probs with washing and tumble drying it infact mine goes through the mill with daily washing

perhaps its was a faulty batch .....
Alex Cloke
New Member!
Male 

15-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for reading everyone. Hi Foxy, I think it may have been 40C or even 30C, which may still have been too high. Hi Inca, what wash do you do yours under, do you have a large washer?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Alex Cloke
Thanks for reading everyone. Hi Foxy, I think it may have been 40C or even 30C, which may still have been too high. Hi Inca, what wash do you do yours under, do you have a large washer?

Oh if it was only that temperature then I would definitely take it back because I used to wash mine at about 50C. It sounds faulty like Inca said - I would get them to give you your money back if I was you.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 02:00 PM
My vet bed goes in my Hotpoint washing machine on a 40 degree everyday using either Ariel or Persil washing powder, then into the tumble dryer, never had any problems either.

Like Inca said maybe it was a faulty batch, we've both experienced problems recently with one batch of vet bedding - not gold, the company was really good though and sent us a freebie to replace it.

It shouldn't go flat after one wash.....some on mine has even gone in on a 60 degree and was still fine afterwards.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 02:10 PM
hi ya welcome to dogweb
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Yep, just to say that I wash mine with whatever washing powder that I have to hand, usually one of the named ones at 40 degrees. Never had a problem.
Sounds odd, so I would think there was some sort of fault with it and not you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >