Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2004, 05:34 PM

I just don't know what I want to do...

Hi everyone,

I'm a Senior in high school, so I've been looking into the ACT test, a test that US colleges require in order for admission, I believe. You have to get a certain number on the test to get special offers and stuff like that.

So on the ACT form that takes about an hour and a half to fill out, it asks what majors I would be interested in. I know I want to have a career that involves canines and felines, for sure. At first I thought it would be great for me to study and become a veterinarian, but after careful thought, I don't know if I am up to being responsible for someone's beloved pet's life. Plus there are at least 8 years of school and study to become a veterinarian. Then I thought, well, what about a veterinarian assistant? I would be like a nurse! I would be able to be around and care for the animals admitted to the hospital, which is what I want to do. The assistants that are at my local vet always greet my dogs, give them treats, and then weigh them and prepare the vaccinations for the actual vet.

This sounds perfect to me, I would really love to actually have a job in the veterinary hospital, but I wouldn't really be responsible for all those animals' lives, I would just be there to help out.

The thing is, I don't know if there are any colleges that offer serious veterinary assistance study! I've looked into a college called OSU-Okmulgee, but that college doesn't offer anything that I want to study. I do think that there is another OSU college dedicated to veterinary medicine, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

My point of this post is, do you all have any other suggestions of what I could possibly major in? I really want to be with dogs and cats, most of all. I don't want to be stuck behind a desk or anything like that. I hate typing and I hate filing stuff. I'm a person who has to be with animals. (We all are, I know!) So I'm torn as to what to do. I know I should have had my future planned out a long time ago, but I always put it off, never knowing what I wanted to do for a career. I still don't! Please help if you can! Thanks!

-Tara
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi tara

I can't help you, but wanted to wish uu good luck.

I'm 33 and still dont know what I want
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm no help either but Good luck too
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2004, 06:18 PM
im 36 and a qualified teacher but still not sure what i want to do long term, it must be easy if you have definite ideas for your future, but most of us dont!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Good luck in whatever u decide!
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2004, 07:37 PM
good luck
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2004, 08:20 PM
hey.... i actually went towards that career.. of a veterinary nurse...

I dont know anything about gradings and stuff in the US.
But over here there were 3 options..

1 was to go to college and do science and english A levels, then to go on and major in veterinary care at university for however many yrs.

second was to go to this merrist wood college and do ur national diplomas in animal care then do A levels anyway and uni.

third option, which is what i thought was much quicker..

Is to write to all the vets in ur area and ask them if they will put u on a veterinary nurse training course, which some vets will do every now and then. You dont even have to do ur A levels first, and they will train you up.

However, after being signed up for a weeks work experience..

this is how my experience went, u may still like it and can stomach it.. but here goes..

Spent the main part of the morning standing around actually, it wasnt a very busy practise as it was in middle of no where, so was cleaning shelves and such. Wasnt allowed to touch the animals as i was only a visitor as such.
Anyways, the smell really got to me... just the smell of sick animals, the smell u cant smell from out in the waiting room. there were dogs lying in their cages crying and some were still asleep after surgery.

the main part of the day was watching a surgery... it was on this dog who had some tumours on its back which were to be removed.
So the vet nurse brings the dog in, they all lift it onto the table and she gives it an injection into its leg so knock it out.
Dog poos itself once its asleep as it obv loses control of those things, vet nurse cleans up.. god it stinks!
Then the vet comes in, and the vet nurse shaves around the areas needing surgery on. They started cutting around... by this time my head was feeling really tight. I lasted a good 45 mins mind you... b4 i realised i was gonna faint if i didnt go outside. Ive never fainted in my life, cross fingers.. but i couldnt watch.
anyways, afterward the vet nurse and co lift the dog down and place into a designated cage. cleans down the table etc.
I was outside by this time as i was going dizzy and all sorts!!

I only did one day of work experience and never went back again!! I cant stand to see the animals dying around me (even if they r getting better), it breaks my heart to see em away from home . So im now working towards doin a degree in animation.lol

but... i think you would need to do a course in Veterinary sumin... why not call a university and ask them what is the best course to take?
And also phone a few vets and ask them how they did it... its the best way to find out the routes and also what type of course u will need to take and how long it will take.

hope this helps
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Good luck Tara whatever you decide
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2004, 08:32 PM
yes good luck tara
my eldest is thinking of giving up her hairdressing and going to uni to do equine studys
we,ve told her we,ll support her all the way if it is what she wants to do
(plus i also get her to live back with me)