Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yes... still swinging my legs... One of the reasons being.. I sold beau at 7.5 months old, he was fully trained.. far brighter than holly or vinnie.. I had never really set out to sell him.. he was a pup I took back, then a call came after he had been back here for 5.5 months, A farmer who had muscular problems and didnt really want a small pup,

I swithered for a while as to weather to give him a dog or not.. then it came down to beau or vinnie.. as beau was better trained I felt the transition would be better, also that it was the better dog for Andrew to have...
BUT... he went for half the price of what you would pay if you came to me for a 10 week old pup...

TBH.. If someone like Andrew came to me again, I would consider doing it again, people with muscular problems often make great owners but the tiny puppy stage is just too much for them,
I remember reading all about Beau when I first joined Dogsey. What a fantastic dog! How is he getting on Shona? He moved to a fab location didn't he?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I'm not seeing any profit...
Again, we will have to agree to disagree. In the scenario you have posted, I would say those pups are paying for the breeder's hobby ... therefore, I would still say the breeder is making a profit.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by melzy View Post
MY TURN MY TURN i think training is the best part of getting a dog and i cant wait till i get my pup
but when i win the lottery and get my farm and a wee flock of sheep i will need a trained sheepdog or i will be doing alot of running ,lots of people cant be botherd training dogs and thats why they end up in resuces

Ahh but do you know how to train a sheepdog, or will you need to buy an already trained dog?
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Ahh but do you know how to train a sheepdog, or will you need to buy an already trained dog?
i would pick it up quick i know i would you could give me few lessons
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:13 PM
i have a dvd from a breeder that show ther dogs working id have a bash at that in the mud id love it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I remember reading all about Beau when I first joined Dogsey. What a fantastic dog! How is he getting on Shona? He moved to a fab location didn't he?
Hes good, thanks, still waiting on photos of him talked to Andrew not long ago as Dougie had hoped to see him he found out he was going to be working up that way.. so we got quite excited.. then he was told he was being sent to inverness instead never mind one day I hope to see him again.
I still miss him.

ETA: yes he moved to a great location, he lives with a lovely farmer and has loads of land to romp around on, he even has a private beach..
Lunakitty321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Again, we will have to agree to disagree. In the scenario you have posted, I would say those pups are paying for the breeder's hobby ... therefore, I would still say the breeder is making a profit.
You can show dogs without being the owner, that would be a hobby...I plan to breed in the far future, and the only reason I would start going to shows is because I would be breeding. It's not a hobby I have now, but when you are a breeder, your main goal should be breeding to improve the breed...not just breeding to make a profit. Thus you would do all the training and go to all the shows so that you can prove that the dogs you are mating are excellent examples of their breed and are suitable matches for each other (cancelling out faults, and such). If they are not, then you would have to reconsider the match or reconsider breeding those dogs all together.

I am new to that world, so I am sure others can correct me if I am wrong, but that is my philosophy about breeding/showing. I have made a whole excel sheet on things that I will have to spend money on in order to breed (vs just having a pet) and unless my bitch is able to produce 12 pups every time, I don't see how I will make much of a profit...let alone if there is a complication. Between materials needed, vet visits, health screening, insurance, training, showing, finding a stud, advertising (if needed), and general care/cost of owning a bitch (as this, too, is an expense in itself).

That's the difference between a true Breeder and a backyard breeder. Find a byb that would do all of that for their dogs.

Those that have a passion for this do not make a profit...in the end, everything balances out if you are lucky.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I plan to breed in the far future, and the only reason I would start going to shows is because I would be breeding.
my only advice would be.. If you plan to breed, try to begin showing well in advance rather than waiting untill your ready to breed, the knowlage you gain in advance could well mean the diff between an ok litter and a fab one
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:15 PM
We're going round in circles and will just have to agree to disagree. I still see no profit in decent show breeders having a litter.None at all. I know a fair few and on have made a profit and laugh at the thought of it. They are constantly out of pocket.

My opinions on partly trained dogs being sold on are the same and won't change so the circular discussion is taking up time I just don't have to spare right now, so with all good wishes I'm leaving the debate as it's going nowhere and probably won't. I'm agreeing to disagree in the nicest possible way. x
Lunakitty321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my only advice would be.. If you plan to breed, try to begin showing well in advance rather than waiting untill your ready to breed, the knowlage you gain in advance could well mean the diff between an ok litter and a fab one
Thats my goal next January...i have been volunteering at the local dog training facility...so the experienced breeders there are becoming my many mentors
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >