Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2006, 12:07 PM

Blowing down nose at people?

When new people try to coax Cage into not being so scared of them and they talk to him, he usually stands at a distance at snorts at them down his nose. He even did this with us when we first got him and he wasn't sure of us...what does it mean in doggy language?

He always goes absolutely HYPER if I blow a little in his face. It makes him go full pelt into playing with me, but sometimes it even makes him bark or look really surprised! and he very rarely barks at all. what does he think this means? i thought it might be connected to the nose blowing he does?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi Charisma love I call this 'huffing'

Schnauzers do it a lot and use it instead of growling when meeting other dogs or being bossy, it is often accompanied by 'stiff leg walking' and raised body hair. I guess they think it makes them look more important and puts the other dog off threatening them .

I can't say why Cage does is, it may be connected to 'calming signals'(sniffing the ground when another dog approaches is one) or might be a form of displacement activity if he is feeling a little unsure about things .

If he does it when meeting people, suggest they crouch down to talk to him so they don't look so big and threatening and allow him to come to them rather than they to him.When he does give him lots of praise and a tipbit then he will learn not to be scared.

A lot of dogs like being blown at, it does make them skittish
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2006, 05:01 PM
it's still pretty cute though isn't it lol.

I wasn't entirely sure if he liked being blown at or not as it makes him so crazy! he doesn't stop smiling though, so I wasn't too worried