View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 06:32 PM
There is no doubt about it Robert Mugabe MUST GO. That said I don't fancy the prospect of another war. I hate to see him getting away with such appalling cimes on innocent people. I recently was privilleged enough to attend a seminar held by Peter Tatchell who himself is an avid protester of Mugabe's reign. He has also taken on the Tyrant himself and his very evil bodyguards on numerus occassions even tried to make a citizen's arrest on Mugabe whilst been beaten to a pulp by Mugabe's gorrillas.

He must go but I don't know if I personally would be happy to support another war if it came to it. So in true British style i'm sitting on the fence on this one.
craig
Dogsey Junior

25-06-2005, 09:13 PM
he needs to be stopped, you can tell that theres no oil in Zimbabwe. i think that U N pace force should be sent
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
No but something needs to be done. he is ripping ppl house down just cos he thinks they wont vote for him that is worng and now he is stopping ppl from growen there own food.
OK, OK dont shout.

It's a problem I know but what should be done. Going in all guns blazing is not going to help anyone.It could make the problem worse. Wiping out the debt will only give their government more money to spend on arms.

I dont think the UN even know what to do.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Oh God only knows what to do.
The asylum seekers here are genuine cases - if they go back they are dead. But this can't go on indefinitely; something needs to be done in the country itself to get rid of the regime and make things better for the people.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Do we know if the majority of Zimbabwians want us to do anything?

Graeme
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme

Graeme
Good point Graeme.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme

Graeme
I think considering their homes have been ripped down and they're living in abject poverty they'd be greatful for anything right now!?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I think considering their homes have been ripped down and they're living in abject poverty they'd be greatful for anything right now!?
A minority are having their homes ripped down... I agree that is wrong.

Would Britain have liked it if the Zimbabwians had interfered in the Irish Conflict. Especially if Zimbabwe had been our colonial rulers?

I don't think what Mugabe is doing is right at all. I just don't know if it is our place to do something about it or not, given that it is limited to governance of a single country and not external conflict. It's far from the first time it's happened in Africa or elsewhere in the world and we never did anything then. Would going into Zimbabwe simply be 'picking' on them because they don't like us?

Graeme
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 11:50 PM
You've got to remember that Mugabe has done so many other terrible things to people that don't "agree" with him. People can get killed if they go against him, and to me that's no way to live.
I agree that we need to do what the people of that nation want, but just because those being made homeless are in the minority doesn't mean we should sit back and do nothing.
This has been going on far too long and I think that's why people are beginning to question their responsibilities to a country under such a tyranical leader.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2005, 12:01 AM
You've got to remember that Mugabe has done so many other terrible things to people that don't "agree" with him. People can get killed if they go against him, and to me that's no way to live.
And the Western World any better? As least with Mugabe, what he says is what you get and he does it in his own country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4619377.stm

Italian authorities have issued arrest warrants for 13 people they claim are agents "linked to the CIA".

The suspects are accused of abducting an Islamic cleric in Milan in 2003 and flying him to Egypt for interrogation.

Osama Mustafa Hassan, also known as Abu Omar, was already being investigated in Italy as part of a terrorism inquiry.

Italian prosecutors believe the operation was part of a controversial US anti-terror policy known as "extraordinary rendition".

The policy involves seizing suspects and taking them to third countries without court approval.

Human rights organisations say some of the countries to which terror suspects have been deported are known to use torture, and critics have branded it "torture by proxy". The US embassy in Rome has not commented on the arrest warrants issued against the 13 people - 10 men and three women.

According to Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Mr Hassan was then driven to the US base at Aviano north of Venice and transferred to another base in Germany, before eventually being taken to Egypt.
The 42-year-old imam called his family in Italy after being released last year, and said he had been tortured with electric shocks during his detention.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >