View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Zzzzzzz... Huh? Why's it so bright out!?!

Ahhh, THAT'S why!

Started off a little slow...

Getting better!

Almost bright enough to read by!

Actually, I was expecting the Aurora last night. The sun let forth a might belch the other day; (X-Flare 4.9 for those that follow such things.) And even though it wasn't even remotely pointed our way; I figured I should get a nap last night from around 10 PM to Midnight, to prepare for the probability of a good Aurora show. So I snoozed, but slept in just a wee bit, and woke up just after Midnight to see what ya saw above.

I had everything ready; camera on tripod, all my camera batteries charged, my camera's external power supply just in case the show lasted for more than 2 hours, my one piece snowsuit for the same reason, some water boiling on the wood stove just needed to be put in a thermos and mixed with cocoa and I was racing down to wharf to take a few hundred shots of the Lights. They were bright, they were beautiful, I was delighted!

And now I'm gonna try and make a time lapse video from all the shots I took that were pointed in the same general direction.

Anyhoo, thought I'd share the lovely.

Cheers!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Lovely photographs TJ the Aurora was visible in the UK this week but I didn't see it.

The sight must be spectacular where you live..
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Amazing pictures!!!
I would have loved to see it when it was visible in the UK but we had rain and clouds so I couldn't see anything
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Heyo! Yup, it was pretty spectacular! And yup, yup, I understand the frustration of clouds when you KNOW an Aurora is happening right above your head! I've watched the online real-time Auroral Oval webpage while gnashing my teeth knowing that I was missing an amazing show due to the clouds. Here's a link that updates the Auroral Oval every 30 seconds. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/North_New.html It gives a pretty good idea of where one can see the Aurora at the moment.

And the time lapse vid is done!

It SHOULD have an audio track. (Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata) But if not, it's still processing.

Thank ya's!

And cheers!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Beautiful - thank you!
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Thats brilliant
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Lovely photographs TJ the Aurora was visible in the UK this week but I didn't see it.

The sight must be spectacular where you live..
Yes I saw photos like that on my news feed Meg. And was wishing I was back in UK to see it. Glad to read your post and know I probably wouldn't have anyway!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Stunning. It's on my bucket list to see this, shame I didn't look outside last night as apparently there was a display in SE England (not as good as yours though).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Another big WOW for your pics and video of this spectacular event.......that I missed night before last on a clear night and for the first time in history, would have been seen along the south coast even! Grrrr! If only they had told us before the event that it would be there, rather than after!

Thanks for that link too, I shall be keeping my eyes open in future