Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 03:42 PM

electric in conservatory

right... first of all i apologise for being so damn thick!!

My problem is... i have a conservatory which is a quater bricked at the bottom. it had plug sockets in it- but none of them work... there is a big thick wire coming out of the wall where the conservatory wall joins the house- this wire has a plug on the end. Ive tried plugging it into a socket but still no electric- do i have to turn som switch or something(im not even sure what the big wire leads to- i just assume it goes to the plug sockets!
please help!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Is it armoured cable? If it is it could be feeding lights in the garden or power to a shed.
Failing that, if the person who lived in the house before can't tell you, do you know an electrician who could come look, especially as the other sockets aren't working?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:59 PM
whats armoured cable? lol im soooo thick
the cable is covered in a really thick grey covery thing. i have no lights in garden or shed! really odd!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Armoured cable is just that. A suit of armour on electric wiring, so that it can run into the garden and shed and protect the electrics from the elements.

I'd suggest getting someone in to check your electrics over - better safe than sorry.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Have you checked your fuse box. Most modern fuse boxes have the different ones clearly labeled. If the conservatory was an extension added to your house - then it may well have a separate fuse. It may have a separate fuse switch as well.

We have power in our garage and there is a separate fuse box for it in the garage.

The heavy duty cable may well be just waterproof cable that is required if power is to outside the original building - for safety.

Don't know if that helps
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks- im going to have a look at fuse box later- have to get my ladder though as its really high! the conservatory was an extension to the house-ill be back if it doesnt work!
wish my OH was more well diy orientated but he doesnt even nail a nail straight lol
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The other possiblity is an RCB control switch. This is a 'cut off' that applies independently of the fuse to try to ensure you cannon electrocute yourself accidentally.

If there is you should see a fairly clear switch [either rotary or simple on off up/down type. Again these are fitted to circuits that control power outside generally - though our house has one for the inside as well as one in the garage.

These contol circuits are there so that should you accidentally cut a cable with a lawnmower for example you will not electrocute yourself.

The one we have in the house though is sensitive. The thermostat on the oven can throw it as it switches on of off.

If you find such a switch - indeed any switch - turn it to the 'on' position. If it won't stay on - then you have a problem - but not as big a problem as you would have had if the circuit breaker was not there.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Layla,
If you're still having probs tomorrow could I recomend one of those plug checker thingies.

I think they are worth every penny, it's like a normal 13A plug and has three lights on it, you plug it in and depending how many lights come on you can tell what the problem is.

And it's so small you can easily unplug it and move around 'till you find a socket where everything is working.

B&Q and Homebase sell them.