View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Giving fish4dogs a try, feeding amounts?

Ive heard so many good things about fish4dogs , so decided to give it a try with my 2. Thought it might help with dukes joints too. Tried a small bag ( been mixing it with their ardn grange ) and they seem to like it so ordered a big bag from crufts. People who feed it, do you follow the guide lines or feed more or less? And do you mix anything else in?
Thanks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Dex has this for one of his two meals a day and I highly recommend it

Which one are you using - the Complete or the Sardine?

I tend to stick to the feeding guidelines but if you're not sure, then the team who run the site are FAB and will be happy to advise, I'm sure. If you email them you should get a swift response.

I just halve the daily amount that Dex would get and then he has that every morning.

In terms of what to mix it with - I'd feed it alone just to start with, until your dog is used to it.

After that, you can mix it with lots of things - I sometimes add tinned sardines or tuna or pilchards for a total Fish meal and Dex loves it.

I'm also thinking of adding some yoghurt - separately from the tinned fish!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I dont feed it (I feed raw) but When I have had to buy a complete (when travelling) I dont stick to the feeding guides. They usually tell you to give too much (they want you to buy more!) so feed by eye and hand, if the dog loses weight feed slightly more, if putting on, feed less.

Be careful of feeding too much Tuna ( I rarely feed it at all) because of the very high mercury levels
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Dex has this for one of his two meals a day and I highly recommend it

Which one are you using - the Complete or the Sardine?

I tend to stick to the feeding guidelines but if you're not sure, then the team who run the site are FAB and will be happy to advise, I'm sure. If you email them you should get a swift response.

I just halve the daily amount that Dex would get and then he has that every morning.

In terms of what to mix it with - I'd feed it alone just to start with, until your dog is used to it.

After that, you can mix it with lots of things - I sometimes add tinned sardines or tuna or pilchards for a total Fish meal and Dex loves it.

I'm also thinking of adding some yoghurt - separately from the tinned fish!
they've got the salmon complete as i was told by a rep this is the most palateable as my gsd is not a big eater. They currently have a small amount of butchers mixed in with their Arden grange.
What do you feed for the other meal?

Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I dont feed it (I feed raw) but When I have had to buy a complete (when travelling) I dont stick to the feeding guides. They usually tell you to give too much (they want you to buy more!) so feed by eye and hand, if the dog loses weight feed slightly more, if putting on, feed less.

Be careful of feeding too much Tuna ( I rarely feed it at all) because of the very high mercury levels
thanks, if i do give tinned fish it will just be as an occasional treat. I think thats true about the feeding amounts as with some foods the amount they say to feed my dogs would never even eat that much.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
they've got the salmon complete as i was told by a rep this is the most palateable as my gsd is not a big eater. They currently have a small amount of butchers mixed in with their Arden grange.
What do you feed for the other meal?

For the other meal of the day I feed raw meat - either mince or chunks including liver and heart. Usually turkey or lamb or beef. Today Dex is having some pasta with his raw meat as he's looking very slim at present

Good luck with the Fish4Dogs - let us know how you get on
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I currently feed Arden Grange and am in the process of changing over to fish for dogs....spooky! Will post how we get on over the next few weeks. Let me know how you do too. xx
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
I currently feed Arden Grange and am in the process of changing over to fish for dogs....spooky! Will post how we get on over the next few weeks. Let me know how you do too. xx
very spooky!! what made you want to change them from arden grange?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I've fed fish for dogs and I don't feed what it says on the label. As someone has mentioned the company just want you to buy lots so probably put the amounts you should feed if you have a working dog I think! Certainly mine would be well tubby if I fed what it says on the guide.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I feed just over the recommended amount for one dog & just under for the other as one gains weight fairly easily. I don't just feed fish4dogs though, they also get raw meat (seperate meal) or tinned fish every day so I suppose in total diet they're way over, one dog especially. They're very active dogs though.
2 or 3 times per week they also have a pouch of fish4dogs salmon mousse with their complete.
I used to feed mostly raw until one of my dogs started having anal gland trouble. Now I feed more complete & less raw & he's fine (fingers crossed!).
They also love the treats & get several of those per day.
Good luck with the change, hope it suits