View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Good luck to you and hope you can kick the habit!

My dad used to smoke cigars and every year he tried to give up and then one year he just gave up cold turkey and that was about 2 or 3 years ago now. Being a landlord i guess it was probably quite hard as i think you could still smoke in pubs when he gave up.

Keep up all updated with your progress, really hope you can quit!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I think it is easier for people to stop smoking nowadays, Less people actually smoke and you can't smoke in pubs etc.

Apparently it takes 2 years for every year smoked!
eeek thats 34 years for me and more than my age now!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Good luck hun.

i haven't got a strong enough desire to give up yet, but if you want to quit, I'm sure you will succeed.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Well done on deciding and a huge GOOD LUCK to you. I have never smoked so don't have any real advice for you. Maybe think about what you will do if you get a craving before you do get a craving if that makes sense. Like have a plan in place before you need it. I remember reading somewhere that an actual "craving" lasts from 20 secs to 2 minutes so something that occupies at least 2 minutes!!

Seriously you can do this x
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Good luck, and you CAN do it! If you really want to give up then you will do it, just keep on one day at a time. Try to avoid situations where you will be tempted, and if you get a bad craving, try going for a walk or doing something you enjoy as a replacement, I promise the craving passes quickly and it will all be worth it in the end and think of all the cash you'll save

Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
OH Brilliant!! I stopped smoking in march, no NRT just a clean break!....
I've just got through my first smoke free xmas and new year for 18 years and I am feeling a bit smug!
Nice one and you're allowed to feel a bit smug
I did the same in September I just thought enough, I'm sick of these things and I'm stopping now, and that was that. I had tried before many times, but I always failed because I didn't really want to stop then, but this time I really did My first smoke free xmas in 23 years, so feeling a tad smug here too lol!

(PS - I know its gross, but no one warned me about the poo thing with stopping smoking, I always had a poo first thing when I lit a ciggie, it took a while before my body would do it without a cigarette or maybe that was just me, and I'm a bit of a freak of nature )
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
You can do it...... and you'll be so proud of yourself for it!

I've never smoked, never seen the point of it really. Is there one?

All I can say is, as you know, I look after the elderly and terminally ill in their own homes. We don't have many who smoke. Most of the smokers are dead. Some might like to but can't afford it, but most have seen sense and stopped.

As for the couple that still smoke, carers don't like going there. If you get less mobile and smoke, you end up with a brown nicotine stained home, that smells awful. Holes in their clothes from dropping ash. They are also often not the most hygenic of people, why spend time washing when you could be smoking. And when you go to them and go to others, you stink of stale smoke, which I hate as I get told how offensive it is. We may the people, we just don't love the smoke and often they don't either, it's just too late for them. The future as a smoker isn't a good one.

So, well done you
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
(PS - I know its gross, but no one warned me about the poo thing with stopping smoking, I always had a poo first thing when I lit a ciggie, it took a while before my body would do it without a cigarette or maybe that was just me, and I'm a bit of a freak of nature )
Well done!! I think in the first place you really have to be ready to stop, my friend had swine flu that forced her to quit, once she felt better she was desparate for a smoke and lasted 16 days before she gave in, she obviously wasn't ready to stop! I read Allan Carrs book that helped me a bit in the begining.

I had some digestive discomfort and suffered a bit with wind for a little while! but I looked it up on a stop smoking website and found that was to be expected, its because the Nicotine changes how your body digests things, also... Cafeine is more effective when you are not smoking so I also got a bit of restless legs untill I realised and cut down my Caffeine intake!!

I didn't really get any cold symptoms just a bit of a cough.

My main reason for stopping was the dog agility and now I can run a course without collapsing and am still able to speak at the end of it!!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I was ill last Christmas and had the most awful sore throat and it lasted for ages, so I couldn't smoke if I wanted to then when I was better I didn't want to smoke I lasted 2 months without smoking until one night when we were having a good drink to celebrate a bowls win and I wanted a fag .I wish I had managed to stop myself because I have been hooked again since then, I would have to get into the right frame of mind to give up again, and really it was made easy for me ,I only smoke about 5 a day but thats not the point, I'm as hooked as anyone else so well done to anyone who stops.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Hope you manage it!

One of my best friends who I believed would never ever gave up, just did it, no patches no nothing, and hasn't restarted again, so it can be done!

Good luck!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Best of luck, you can do it
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >