Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2013, 04:18 PM

A question for raw feeders

Do you plan ahead and make out a diet sheet as to what your dog has each day, or do you just take something/anything out of the freezer to defrost or to feed frozen?

I keep an online diary for Pereg and always have a fortnightly rough guide as to what she will have each day, and each morning delete the previous days and transfer it to the current day. Her second meal is always some kind of RMB which she has straight from the freezer, but her first meal is a "wet" one with raw meat or fish plus lightly steamed vegetables, and the meat/fish has to be taken out of her freezer the day before as it has to be defrosted to mix with her various supplements and vitamins.

I do it mainly so that I am aware of what she has eaten each day due to her condition, but wondered if any other raw feeders also make some sort of forward planning/diet sheets for their dog/s.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-11-2013, 04:43 PM
No I just grab a bag of carcasses and 2 bags of meat to defrost / semi defrost in the fridge for the next day. I try to make sure I don't repeat the previous days offering but that's the extent of my planning.
They are only fed once a day and if I feed fish I feed it in addition to the days rations otherwise they start asking for food later in the day, for some reason fish doesn't seem to satisfy them when fed as part of their daily ration. I do make sure they have their liver about once a week but I just remember when to give it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Mine have their main meal in the morning,which is the chicken mince I get from my butchers, with veg, their vits and ox heart/chicken wings depending on what I've got in.
Then at night it is either meaty bones, tinned fish or tripe, depending on whats in.
They'll have a smaller recreational bone at lunch when I've done walks and if I've got a sack of carrots they'll get a couple of them as well.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-11-2013, 05:23 PM
OK, this is the current rough guide from tomorrow - which will no doubt be changed as and when. "Back" can actually be half a chicken back, carcass or turkey neck, and "meat" is either beef head meat, lungs, or the trimmings of the ox heart that I buy for myself - I am not mean but it is very expensive and has to be ordered, and I lurve ox heart done in a slow cooker! And the trimmings have more than enough protein for Pereg's first meal as I keep it down to 50g maximum.

The kibble is so that she will eat it in an emergency if she has to go to the Pension in an emergency - it is Canine Caviar "Chicken and Pear Millet" Holistic kibble and she will eat it dry or soaked as the protein content of her first meal, which is always mostly vegetables to fill her up as I have to keep her weight down.

Thursday
1 - fish guts
2 - back

Friday
1 - meat
2 - sardines

Saturday
1 - gizzard
2 - back

Sunday
1 - mince
2 - back

Monday
1 - kibble
2 - back

Tuesday
1 - gizzard
2 - back

Wednesday
1 - mince
2 - sardines

Thursday
1 - heart
2 - back

As I say, this is a rough plan so far but meal #1 could also be ½% fat soft cheese and an egg, or 1% fat cottage cheese and an egg, each with 0% bio yoghurt. And there is also white fish for a protein source in meal #1 which is why things get changed around. I just like Pereg to have some variety to make sure she does not develop any allergies or anything which might trigger a seizure, and the gizzards and heart as above are turkey.

I think that dog eats better than I do!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I add cottage cheese and bio yogurt to the girlies food as well about twice a week, but no way do they have a menu, she is totally spoiled isn't she, did she fall on her paws when you saw her....I think she did!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
...[snip]... did she fall on her paws when you saw her....I think she did!!!
Not really June - she was a 6-7 week old pup fed on ????? kibble and had the screaming sh!ts for nearly a fortnight, and I put her onto a decent puppy kibble and then the adult kibble that Little One had. I only started changing her to raw after I joined Dogsey and it was a couple of months after that before I learned enough to put her totally on raw.

As all her meat/fish/bones are human food from butchers/poulterers/fishmongers downtown, it means that I can eat [cooked] whatever she eats. [Not the fish guts though!] It is all bought fresh and frozen by me except where I put "fish" as that is Yellow Fin Sole which is sold in frozen packs.

Tinned fish is out of the question with a small tin of sardines in oil or tomato costing well over £1 - no tinned mackerel [which I really do miss] and the cheapest tinned salmon costing a fortune.

I forgot to add that with her meal #1 she also has some well-cooked whole grains of various types [excellent fibre] and she has never had any problem with them.

I want to get her weight back down to 17kg again by the next due weigh-in which means she has six months to lose 1.2kg.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2013, 05:50 PM
If she hadn't been taken home by you then I doubt she would have been as well as she is now, so I still think she landed on all 4 paws when she went home with you.