Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Aagghhhrr..another thorn!

Holly (PRT) is being operated on just now to have ANOTHER thorn removed from her eye..please send healing thoughts to her. This is the 3rd thorn she has had removed from one of her eyes..she does everything at 100mph and goes crashing through undegrowth..am going to have to buy her goggles!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Poor wee lass... always worry about them when they running around like crazy in amoungst all that thorns and bushes.. Get well soon wee lass and slooooow down
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Awwww poor Holly! Tell her to slow down a bit! Hope all goes well at the vets, poor little thing
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:06 PM
God, what a day..the Vet managed to get most of the thorn out of her eye, but when removing the last section there was a gush of fluid from the eye and to attempt to maintain the remaining pressure in the eye, they had to stop digging the rest of the thorn out, special glue has been applied to the puncture in her eye, but its very, very sore. The glue had not only sealed the hole, but it had stuck to her inner lid which then was causing a lot of irritation, so i had to take her back to the surgery tonight and have some of the glue removed. She is on special drops to keep the pupil dilated, Fucithalmic ointment, Rimadyl painkillers and antibiotics. The next 24hrs will show how the eye will do, but it has lost a fair amount of fluid. The parts of the thorn still remaining should break up in time and be expelled by the eye. Poor Holly, for all the pain she is in, she sat wagging her tail and licking the Vet tonight, whilst the glue remnants were being picked off..yuck..it made me feel a bit squeamy. And in true Holly style, came home, ran about with all the others, then brought me her ball.

Thank you for your thoughts..keep them coming and keep everything crossed for her eye.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Awwwwww what a really brave girl she is! You couldn't imagine a poor dog having to go through all this just by picking up a tiny thorn, it all sounds pretty horrendous. Bless her, she's a very brave little doglet. Everything crossed for a good recovery for that eye, at least she's happy and bright so she can't be in too much pain.

That Fucithalmic I think is a steroid ointment?? Just thought I'd let you know. It should heal it all up nicely, they work wonders, speeds the healing process. all the best for dear Holly.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Bless her, brave little girl. Hope she heals quickly. Wags and licks from Cassie and big hugs from us.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2007, 08:19 PM
She is finally settled down and is sleeping with the others at the fire. Fucithalmic is non-steroidal, you are maybe thinking of Maxitrol..we dispense that a lot for infected eyes, but only non-steroidal drops can be used for wounds in the eye like this..otherwise healing would be slowed down by the steroids. I brought home some local anaesthetic for eys from the Practice incase her eye gets sorer during the night, she has had all the antibiotics/painkillers that she can have for today. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Awww bless her, glad she's settled down nicely now.

the only reason I said about the Fucithalmic, is because I use the Fuciderm ointment for my dog's skin, and that is steroidal? Coincidence then that it begins with the same syllable? You learn something everyday then, I didn't know you can't use steroidal concoctions on the eyes, so thanks for that!
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I think Fucithalmic and Fuciderm are possibly made by the same company..they do sound very alike in name. What a nightmare this has been, Holly was in a lot of pain last night and over night, even grinding her teeth etc..i went back today and the glue that was applied to the eye has burned the top layer off the cornea, so as well as having an ulcer where the thorn came out, she now has an ulcerated area over most of her eye where the glue has damaged the superficial layers. Poor thing, she is so gentle even when she is in a lot of discomfort. I am to take her to work with me at the branch surgery on Friday and have the eye assessed again. In the meantime, she has been given Chloramphenicol instead of Fucithalmic. If your dog EVER has an eye injury..make sure the Vet doesnt use wound glue to seal any leakages.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi, so sorry to hear of poor Holly being in the wars again. Hope things start to improve and her pain gets a little less.
((((((gentle hugs))))) for Holly from my girls.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >