Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes, many do and many don't.
My dad was 78 when he died, a good age, but not good enough to see his grandson grow up and for his grandson to get to know him.
My OH's parents both died in their early 60's...again though they were 'older' when they had him.
No we don't know when the moment will come to us, but we can consider the impact our age will have on our children.

Yes, people struggle to have children, delay it, it isn't the right time etc, but the needs of the child and any future grandchildren should also come into it. It isn't just about the parent surely?

I knew my dad was older' he had Victorian attitudes and he looked older. I found out how old he was when I was about 8/9 and in all honesty from that moment on knew he would die before most of my friend's parents. It's not nice. yes, children of younger parents may encounter other problems...as the poem goes 'Your parents f*** you up they do'.......

At the end of the day, I know how I felt having a dad in his 50's during my childhood...and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I cant say having older parents really bothered me that much... but when I think about it, most of the kids I went around with had older parents and were from big familys. I think big familys where very common then, I was the last of 6 kids, so maybe having older brothers and sisters helped, My sis was 19 when I started school..lol My oldest sis, has a child the same age as me..lol she was married before I was born....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Never! I much prefer mine furry!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess I'm a bit different because of my medical problems.

I always thought I would have kids between 21 and 26. I always wanted to be a "young" parent, because a friend of mine was born when her parents were in their mid-forties, and she often felt that they didn't have the same "energy" as younger parents, and she hated that people often mistook them for her grandparents.

My problem now is that my disability is degenerative, and as I've gotten older, things have gotten worse. I lost a baby when I was sixteen, and it seems now that may have been the best time for me. My body was in a good state to cope with a pregnancy and to cope with a baby.

I got married when I was eighteen, and my then-husband had no interest in having children, so I accepted that it just wouldn't happen for me, and I tried not to think about it. After we broke up, and I met my partner, I realised that it was suddenly a possibility again... if it wasn't for my body falling apart
As it stands, I'm 23 now and I struggle to lift and carry our four month old puppy. Because my hands are much worse than only a year or two ago, I find nappies a struggle, popper buttons on babygrows are a nightmare, and because my grip and balance isn't very good, I don't think I would be safe to care for a baby by myself. I certainly couldn't lift and carry one around the house. If we decide to go ahead anyway, I don't think there's any way I could return to work afterwards because of the strain and possible permanent damage that pregnancy would cause to my back and hips. I have no idea how we would cope.

So despite always wanting to have a baby, I think I've missed the boat. There's too much risk for me, I don't know how I would cope with looking after a baby, and I wouldn't be able to run around after a toddler. There's also a risk that I might pass my condition on to my children, and I don't know if I could live with that.

So my animals are my replacement
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Hugs Sez xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I cant say having older parents really bothered me that much... but when I think about it, most of the kids I went around with had older parents and were from big familys. I think big familys where very common then, I was the last of 6 kids, so maybe having older brothers and sisters helped, My sis was 19 when I started school..lol My oldest sis, has a child the same age as me..lol she was married before I was born....
My oldest sister is 23 years my senior...I didn't live with ehr though, I am from the second family...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:56 PM
big hugs Sez. xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hugs Sez xxx
DITO.. hugs Sez
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Aww, thanks, guys
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
Aww, thanks, guys
From me too. It just goes to show that we never know what will happen in our lives, how the circumstances can change and how we will feel about things in the future.
Chesterthelab
New Member!
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I've got 4 stunning daughters and started at 30, hubby at 40 (we were both married before). My mum never wanted me and she had me at 22! I'd rather my children had only 20 years of being loved than 40 odd knowing they were a burden. Every one of girls is precious and they know it - plus our gorgeous labrador of course! Sue
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »