View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 05:43 PM
I wish i had had them early 20's so at 40odd it would all be done and we can enjoy each other.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
I wish i had had them early 20's so at 40odd it would all be done and we can enjoy each other.
That is just where I am now as mine are 19 and 20 and it is pure bliss
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
That is just where I am now as mine are 19 and 20 and it is pure bliss
lol, if only i could do it all again.
I might win the Lotto and then get a Nanny
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I had my son last December at 35 and don't feel I am too old to enjoy him and do lots of stuff with him - I am very energetic

When I was 20, I was in a long-term relationship and thought I would probably have children then or in the following few years. I split with my partner and then spent a few years travelling and letting my hair down! I never really met anyone in the intervening years that I wanted to settle down and have children with.

I then met my hubby, Allan, and it all fell into place. Thankfully I had no problems conceiving, although did have rather a traumatic birth, and I now wouldn't change it for the world. Yes, it would have been nice to have met Allan when I was a bit younger and had kids then, but to be honest I don't think I was actually ready back then. This isn't an ideal world.

I have considered having another child, but think I have now decided against it. I am more than happy with one. I don't think I would consider having any more children after about age 40.

My sister has spent years trying to get pregnant and going through traumatic miscarriages and is now going through IVF. She is 40. So, it is easy to say that people should have children at a younger age - but life is just never that simple.

As long as the child is loved, cared for and provided for, then what does age matter?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I had my son last December at 35 and don't feel I am too old to enjoy him and do lots of stuff with him - I am very energetic

When I was 20, I was in a long-term relationship and thought I would probably have children then or in the following few years. I split with my partner and then spent a few years travelling and letting my hair down! I never really met anyone in the intervening years that I wanted to settle down and have children with.

I then met my hubby, Allan, and it all fell into place. Thankfully I had no problems conceiving, although did have rather a traumatic birth, and I now wouldn't change it for the world. Yes, it would have been nice to have met Allan when I was a bit younger and had kids then, but to be honest I don't think I was actually ready back then. This isn't an ideal world.

I have considered having another child, but think I have now decided against it. I am more than happy with one. I don't think I would consider having any more children after about age 40.

My sister has spent years trying to get pregnant and going through traumatic miscarriages and is now going through IVF. She is 40. So, it is easy to say that people should have children at a younger age - but life is just never that simple.

As long as the child is loved, cared for and provided for, then what does age matter?

It matters for how long that love will be there for...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Yes, very good post! People who feel that they have had difficulties from having older parents may well have had different difficulties from having younger parents.

I knew i wasn't ready to have a baby at 28, i was in such a bad place i could barely look after myself, let alone a baby. Even though i am very experienced in child care (what with it being my career and teaching subject!), i was not emotionally stable enough to cope with a baby.....and raising it knowing that the father would never acknowledge it if we met in the street.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It matters for how long that love will be there for...
many people live to a ripe old age now...

anyone of us could drop dead tomorow, regardless of age.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
many people live to a ripe old age now...

anyone of us could drop dead tomorow, regardless of age.
Yes, many do and many don't.
My dad was 78 when he died, a good age, but not good enough to see his grandson grow up and for his grandson to get to know him.
My OH's parents both died in their early 60's...again though they were 'older' when they had him.
No we don't know when the moment will come to us, but we can consider the impact our age will have on our children.

Yes, people struggle to have children, delay it, it isn't the right time etc, but the needs of the child and any future grandchildren should also come into it. It isn't just about the parent surely?

I knew my dad was older' he had Victorian attitudes and he looked older. I found out how old he was when I was about 8/9 and in all honesty from that moment on knew he would die before most of my friend's parents. It's not nice. yes, children of younger parents may encounter other problems...as the poem goes 'Your parents f*** you up they do'.......

At the end of the day, I know how I felt having a dad in his 50's during my childhood...and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Personally for me I am glad we had our Children young. Married at 18 Gorden was 20 and Mark was born when I was 22 and Michael when I was 26.
I know for me I couldn't of coped with Children when I was older and certainly not in my 40's but I was lucky my marriage worked out and my life in general if it hadn't things may be different. Its all personal choice and circumstances at the end of the day.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Exactly Shona. I know someone just past thirty - or should I say 'knew' because she died when her baby was less than a year old. I think if people are able to give a child a wonderful, loving, secure and stable home and are fit and healthy then that is what matters, not the age. I see some very young people pushing babies in buggies and they themselves are a picture of ill health and are more interested in their mates than their children.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »