Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Crate training a 7 year old dog?

Is it possible to crate train a 7 year old, hooch has never been in one.
I don't go out often. before i go hooch is walked and given a kong but i am coming home to more and more damage.
So has anyone used a crate for an older dog?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:05 PM
It's certainly possible, Rupert was crate trained at 7 years old and I had no problems. Well, once I figured out he was scared of the crate pan anyway, I had to take that out before he'd even entertain the idea of going in.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I use them for any rescues I have passing through (normally take 10 year plus) some of which have never seen a crate before.

The crates when not in use are always left open and the dogs are in and out of them all the time.

Before I try leaving a new dog in there i will feed them in there with the door open, give them treats in there. When they are happily going in and out of it I will try just pushing the door too, if they don't panic open it straight away and let them out, from then I gradually increase the time they spend in there, with me in the room at first, then gradually with me leaving the room for longer periods.

I've not had one yet that objected for more than the first time or two ... admittedly though i do have the advantage of the fact that my ownn dogs use them happily.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
It's certainly possible, Rupert was crate trained at 7 years old and I had no problems. Well, once I figured out he was scared of the crate pan anyway, I had to take that out before he'd even entertain the idea of going in.
How long did it take after you took out the crate pan for rupert to happly stay in there?
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I use them for any rescues I have passing through (normally take 10 year plus) some of which have never seen a crate before.

The crates when not in use are always left open and the dogs are in and out of them all the time.

Before I try leaving a new dog in there i will feed them in there with the door open, give them treats in there. When they are happily going in and out of it I will try just pushing the door too, if they don't panic open it straight away and let them out, from then I gradually increase the time they spend in there, with me in the room at first, then gradually with me leaving the room for longer periods.

I've not had one yet that objected for more than the first time or two ... admittedly though i do have the advantage of the fact that my ownn dogs use them happily.
Thanks kate, any other tips?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Is it possible to crate train a 7 year old, hooch has never been in one.
I don't go out often. before i go hooch is walked and given a kong but i am coming home to more and more damage.
So has anyone used a crate for an older dog?
id be more inclined to get him used to being alone,exp as you do not do it often,that is the real problem imo.the fact Hooch is 'doing damage' means he isnt coping well imo

if you dont get him used to it he will still be distressed crate or no crate

but yes... never believe the 'you cant teach old dog new tricks' bull