Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
I wasn't talking about fault, Brierley, I was talking about misinterpretation of things people read and hear, and yes, sometimes even the things they see with their own eyes. The example you cited was a bit different, because in your case the woman apparently was missing a critical piece of information, i.e., DO NOT practice in the road. She evidently was a very "literal" learner, or just plain lacked common sense (lot of that going around).

Back to my example of puppy greeting behavior: Most of the people that train with me want their dogs to be good citizens and don't want them jumping on people. Most have tried doing something to curb the behavior based on things they have heard or read, and have only succeeded in either exacerbating the behavior, or causing their pups to become fearful and/or aggressive in greeting. The first problem is the owner's lack of knowledge, which causes them to misinterpret the jumping. I show them a different way of dealing with the problem, but only after I explain why pups jump. Once they understand the why of the behavior, they are better able to understand not only why their method of dealing with it failed/made it worse, but also how they could have prevented it in the first place, and why the method I use is more likely to succeed.

To my way of thinking, there is a mindset, i.e., thinking dog, that is essential to being a good trainer. I suspect that eons ago, when people lived with, used and interacted with animals on a daily basis, folks did a lot less anthropomorphizing than folks do today. Many people that I encounter these days seem to have to be taught how to honor and love creatures like dogs for what they are; they are animals, and they will continue to behave like animals, despite peoples' persistence in treating them like humans. Dogs can never be human, and it is my opinion, based on my experience, that it is totally unfair, destructive and demeaning to them to expect them to act like like us.
Some people learn better if you do anthropomorphise - by explaining in a way they are familiar with rather than a new concept to them, it can sometimes help.

You can often write out a technique, explain it verbally and some people will be able to apply it to great effect. Sometimes they have to see it in operation before they 'get it'.

Similarly, each and every dog is an individual and individuals don't all react the same way, hence techniques have to be modified or changed to suit. I think most people do 'get this' and it's one explanation where explaining in human terms, rather than animal terms can often help to get the message across.

Using what works not only applies to dogs, but to humans as well
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I believe you will find your answer in my reply to Lizzy, post #277, which is on the same page as and preceded this one of yours.
Actually yes, I've just replied to that in post 283.
I've asked another couple of questions on that post.

Apparently you are a victim of the same timing glitch Malpeki experienced in her post #258 on page 26. You might want to try the solution I suggested in post 265 on page 27 .
Not sure it's a timing glitch, although it may be. I simply log on and read from where I left off, if that makes sense. I try to reply "in order" but sometimes as one is replying, a thread moves on and responses are already made.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
'tis a long thread - posts get missed. I'm pretty sure I've missed loads either by skim reading or reading very early or very late . It's so much easier and more productive to give a brief summary of a previous reply than refer back to the original

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Back to my example of puppy greeting behavior: Most of the people that train with me want their dogs to be good citizens and don't want them jumping on people. Most have tried doing something to curb the behavior based on things they have heard or read, and have only succeeded in either exacerbating the behavior, or causing their pups to become fearful and/or aggressive in greeting. The first problem is the owner's lack of knowledge, which causes them to misinterpret the jumping. I show them a different way of dealing with the problem, but only after I explain why pups jump. Once they understand the why of the behavior, they are better able to understand not only why their method of dealing with it failed/made it worse, but also how they could have prevented it in the first place, and why the method I use is more likely to succeed.
I agree it's much better when owners understand why a dog is doing something, I can help them to be patient and also to notice things more, with widened eyes if you like.

How would you then, teach a dog not to jump up? I'd probably use a clicker but some might put it on cue or teach a solid Sit.

Would you use a shock collar for this sort of training (ie household manners).

Wys
x
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I wasn't talking about fault, Brierley, I was talking about misinterpretation of things people read and hear, and yes, sometimes even the things they see with their own eyes. The example you cited was a bit different, because in your case the woman apparently was missing a critical piece of information, i.e., DO NOT practice in the road. She evidently was a very "literal" learner, or just plain lacked common sense (lot of that going around).

To my way of thinking, there is a mindset, i.e., thinking dog, that is essential to being a good trainer. I suspect that eons ago, when people lived with, used and interacted with animals on a daily basis, folks did a lot less anthropomorphizing than folks do today. Many people that I encounter these days seem to have to be taught how to honor and love creatures like dogs for what they are; they are animals, and they will continue to behave like animals, despite peoples' persistence in treating them like humans. Dogs can never be human, and it is my opinion, based on my experience, that it is totally unfair, destructive and demeaning to them to expect them to act like like us.
You talk about people anthromorphising and yet you quote your dogs with a very high level of cognitive function. High enough that when they break a command and race off, are issued a repeat of the command and are then shocked they understand that the reason they are shocked is because they 'messed up' the original command, as you put it. I do not think that my dogs nor many others could possibly get this even with, as you put it, the correct conditioning because this is not how they learn. They learn in the moment. If you allow several moments to pass and a repeat of the original command to happen then the dog does not learn that the shock is caused by it 'messing up' but instead by you giving the command. Thus making it fearful of the command and possibly resulting in a more immediate response but at the same time causing the dog to shut down when given instruction. This ends in an unhappy however driven and hard working, even the most driven dogs can be miserable in their work.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
We obviously have vastly different interpretations on many "words".......yet your use of the word enjoyment ...

Translates to the same meaning...one is happy doing what one is doing/ its pleasurable.

Insert the word "little" in front of "enjoyment", it suggests one is not having good time, and if one is NOT having a good time, then why is one partaking,

Along with the "pride in your achievments" that jumps out of your posts, its obvious you DO enjoy your hobby. hence my disbelief in your statement that youdont get pleasure /enjoyment out of your hobby.

Not at all, I am pro hunting, it has nothing to do with my opinion of you and your training methods

Two different facets to my hunting; I enjoy one of them immensely, the other one, not so much.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Personally yes I am anti hunting, but that does not stop me being friendly with some good dog trainers and behaviourists and long term owners who are pro hunting. One of my best friends took her flatcoat on a shoot and I didn't break the friendship over it, so, although I disagree with it as a sport I don't let it stop me being friends with someone who partakes in it, nor does it stop me talking over methods and experiences.

The only sentiment that is colouring my opinions is that I have been against shock collars for many years, never having seen or heard or spoken to anyone who has altered my mind. I've done a lot of research, watched a lot of vids, etc etc but I believe they are abusive to dogs overall and should be banned.

You've "sort of" answered my question but I haven't really found out why you use a shock collar for sport.

I can understand, although disagree, with people who use it for (as they imagine) saving a dog's life. But sport? It's not life or death, it's sport. It's a game, it's fun or there are motivations to do it.

Some will do anything to gain a win, to get "kudos", or to be the person who wins the money or carries home the cup.

I am trying to find out why you feel it is OK to use a shock collar for sport. I don't really see an answer in your posts yet.

You can just write a small paragraph, it does not have to be a lengthy post.

Wys
x
And being pro hunting doesn't stop from me being "friendly with" members of the anti crowd. The quote you are referring to was not a statement of fact, it was merely something I "wondered" about. But, I certainly think that it is possible for a person's biases to color their perception of others on a subconscious level, especially when communicating via the typed word.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Nope, you still 'pray and hope'.

You said yourself, your dogs have a high pain threshold and that it's entirely possible your dogs could choose to ignore the collar
Anything is possible, but not very likely in my scenario, because . . . . Take a quick hop back to pg.26 and read just the last two lines of my post #255.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=Wysiwyg;2657946]I think that's quite a perceptive post, Lizzy

I think too that we expect perfection of our dogs, when we aren't anywhere close to perfect, ourselves.

Wys
x[/QUOT

True dat!
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
From this post, it seems you use a shock collar on your dog because you believe it is needed to proof the commands and also because you believe it is a life saver?

So would you say then that you would use one anyway on a dog, even if you were not partaking in a sport? Or would you feel you did not need a shock collar if you were not partaking in sport with your dogs?

Wys
x
No, I use it to correct failure on commands I have already proofed. And I do indeed use it outside of hunting.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
WOW! still busy here

but right that, it really gave me to think about

...or causing their pups to become fearful and/or aggressive in greeting..
How would you then, teach a dog not to jump up? I'd probably use a clicker but some might put it on cue or teach a solid Sit.
so maybe?

as well known, over there in the US, (almost?) everyone runs around with a gun, in the pocket, in the glovebox in the car, in the handbag, etc, etc, etc...

maybe so, over there, their breedings of dogs are as well in the direction of, to breed right the aggressivity out of several breeds, that they even need an e-collar, for to get them under controll at all?

guess if I had one of those aggressive dogs and when I come, to train it with a clicker, but the dog would just grin at me with bared teeth, I think, in that case, I also would prefer to have the remote control of its e-collar in my hands, instead of that silly clicker
Page 30 of 36 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > Last »