Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:16 AM

GCSE (bribes)

just wondered if any of you have offerd a child things to do better in their exams ?? reason i am asking is i have just been to a gcse morning at the school and have heard parents saying .......Oh if you do well and get a C or over we will buy you BLAH BLAH BLAH ...............i'm not sure how i feel about this .....my son has one problem area thats English he is looking at a D at the most ..but I don't mind as it's still a pass and we can't all have strong subjects ....the only concern i have is that he is set to get A-B with distintions for all sciences of which he now has decides not to follow up ..................I personally think this time of year is hard enough for the youngsters to do well with out added presure's

what do you think ????????
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Inca, LOL, I thought for a minute you were offering work to hard-up academics like me - I'd happily write essays for anyone LOL

Seriously though, I was never offered anything to do well at school, though some of my friends were promised cars etc for good a-level results. I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad thing - I guess it works if your kid's clever but lazy, as a kind of incentive, but if you've got a hard-working child who's just not doing too well I think bribes probably put too much pressure on the kid.

Becs
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I just think your a tight mother who cant be bothered spending any money (money you want for booze n pringles) on your darling son ... LOL
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:31 AM
i think its a good idea. some of my friends got money for getting certain grades. So if they got an A theyd get a certain amount and it would decrease with the grades. I think its a good idea, my parents never did it for me, but i wish they had cos it would have driven me to put more effort into studying for my exams
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:32 AM
lol.............
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I agree with Becs here
"I guess it works if your kid's clever but lazy, as a kind of incentive, but if you've got a hard-working child who's just not doing too well I think bribes probably put too much pressure on the kid."

Tracie
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:40 AM
By the way, on this note, I'd like to offer my services to any pupil/student who wants essays written.......LOL LOL
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Inca...

I don't have children but wouldn't do it if I had. Getting good grades was something that was expected from me as a child as I had the ability. My brother was allowed somewhat lesser grades because he wasn't as able. The incentive was not being grounded until the next report. LOL!

I was brought up that school was very important and it was to be taken seriously. Back-talk, suspensions, behavior reports weren't tolerated. The only class I failed was Biology and that was because I refused to disect a cat.

I don't like the idea of buying grades. Just something about it that really bothers me.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:50 AM
mr spock u were asked to disect a cat???? isnt that kind of thing illegal or was it back when it was legal? yuck
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I kinda feel the same Mr Spock ( and am not tight LOL )......... of course i want him to do well ..BUT it has to come from him

I think if he wants it bad enough he will work for it....

Scott says thanks for offer on essays he might take you up on it Arc....... LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >