Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Doggydina
Thanks Foxy! It helps to have folk to talk to who know lots about certain pets! Sometomes feel vets don't have as mcuh time for the smaller pets (not all of course ). How much is it roughly? Starting college soon so think i'll have to get it done asap b4 i become proper skint student
Well my vets charged £46.90 a few months ago when I had Binka our male rabbit done but that included an appointment the week after just to check him over that he was healing okay and everything - they didn't charge anything for that and I got a free bunny pack too with a little ball for him and some bunny books and treats He wasn't right impressed with the ball though
These are our rabbits - they are Netherland dwarfs. The grey one is the female, Rosie and Binka is the chocolate coloured one.

Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Well my vets charged £46.90 a few months ago when I had Binka our male rabbit done but that included an appointment the week after just to check him over that he was healing okay and everything - they didn't charge anything for that and I got a free bunny pack too with a little ball for him and some bunny books and treats He wasn't right impressed with the ball though
These are our rabbits - they are Netherland dwarfs. The grey one is the female, Rosie and Binka is the chocolate coloured one.

Awww !! They so cute ! I rememebr a thread you started a while back bout them not getting on so well, how did ya get on with that? Benn contemplating a friend for my babe (when she outside ! ! !) but not usre how well that will go donw with her age etc.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Doggydina
Awww !! They so cute ! I rememebr a thread you started a while back bout them not getting on so well, how did ya get on with that? Benn contemplating a friend for my babe (when she outside ! ! !) but not usre how well that will go donw with her age etc.
Well I decided to leave it a bit and then when we have a bit of time one weekend might put them in the pen where my daughter has her swings etc and see how they get on together in there because Binka (the male) kept going at Rosie and pulling her fur out and running at her face as if to nip her and she looked really scared so after about 5 mins we separated them Perhaps we should have left them together longer but I was scared he might hurt her. They do seem happy enough though in pens next to each other
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Whereabouts do you live Doggydina? Vet prices are very variable. The average male neuter is around £40-£50, females are usually a bit more, say £50-£70. There are wild variations though - someone I know was charged £110 for a male neuter which I think is extortionate! Up to 80% of female rabbits will get uterine cancer over the age of 5 so I think it's definitely worth doing. I talk to a rescue whose vet spays a couple of hundred rabbits each year and says that a large proportion of those, even young ones, have pre-cancerous changes in their wombs at the time of spay. Whenever I get a bun neutered I also ask for them to check the teeth while the bun is under anaesthetic as often that's the only chance to get a real good look - then if any molars need filing, they can be done at the same time to prevent a problem later on.

It's a relatively low risk operation if it's done by an experienced vet, although the risks do increase the older the bun gets. Don't be afraid to question your vet as to how often they spay rabbits and how successful they are. Ask whether the bun is allowed to eat the night before the operation (the answer is YES the bun should eat as normal - avoid like the plague any vet that tells you to starve a rabbit as you would a cat or a dog). Ask if they can do all the stitches internally - female rabbits are quite good at pulling their stitches out if they are done on the outside! Ask if they routinely give painkiller after the operation - again I would avoid any vet that says no! Erm, I'm sure there's more but those are some of the main questions.

The bun needs to stay indoors at least overnight after the spay (well, any operation) as the anaesthetic lowers the blood pressure. Females do recover more slowly than males as the op is more major, but they should be eating by the next day - if they're not they need to go back to the vets for some drugs to get the guts going again, and some more painkiller.

From my experience and talking to lots of rescues, bonding an older rabbit doesn't seem to be a problem, even if they have been alone for years! Personally I prefer to take my buns to a rescue and let them do the bonding - they know exactly what to look out for and whether to leave buns together or whether it's looking like they might fight. It's quite stressful watching buns bond as they move so quickly and do scrap a little bit, so I prefer to chicken out and let someone else do it!!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm way up in Inverness, inthe highlands of Scotland. Prices round here not too bad at vets, but still steep ! Will phone around with the questions you have provided me with though and make a decision from there. Want the best for my wee girlie, as we all do

Will keep ya's posted, thanks again x x x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2