register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How long are your dogs left while your working?
Do you leave your dogs more than 6 hours but less than 8 a day? 7 21.88%
Do you leave your dogs 8 hours or more a day? 9 28.13%
Are your dogs with friends and family whilst your working? 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Do you work full time?

Heard a few varying opinions on here about people who work and leaving their dogs so I thought it would be good to see how many people leave them and how they manage etc i.e. walk before work, after, both, leave them with anything....those sort of things.
Some people on another thread seem to think that people shouldnt have a charity helping with vet fees, so how do people do this without working...

Do you leave your dogs 8 hours or more a day?

Do you leave your dogs more than 6 hours a day but less than 8?

Do you leave your dogs no more than 4 hours a day?

Do you get help with your pets from family or friends whilst working?

Do you feel your dogs are still happy and contented even though they are on their own for a good portion of each day?

Lastly what do you feel the best routine is with your dog when working?
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Our dogs are left 4 or 5 days a week for over 8 hours.
We don't have anyone to come in while we are out. They settle very well when we leave, having had breakfast (they don't get an early walk as i leave early and have to walk them separately). They don't get left with any toys or treats in case of choking, swallowing, or fighting (I have a v grumpy oldie!).
Walks are in the e ening, in between meals 2 and 3 (they are both fed three times a day for their own individual medical reasons).
Obviously on days off, they get far more input than work days.

No, i don't like leaving them for that long, but we can't affordto not work full time. I don't think they are any worse off for it- they don't know any different.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Couldn't vote, as I work full time from home, but they do have the odd couple of days where they get left alone for about 3 hours, if I go to meetings.

Fortunately Pats bus route is right outside the door so he pops in to see to them if Im ever going to be longer than 3 hours.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
My boys are lucky because my OH works from home so they are rarely left more than a couple of hours if he pops out. He does occasionally go into the office so is out for 6 hours but they don't seem to notice.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Couldnt vote cos none fitted, we too both work from home, so during the week he is not left for too long alone, occassionally crated whilst we are at home but have little ones to attend to.

At weekends when we have to do some shopping (not food) he may be left but we try not to do more than three hours sandwiched between walk/training. Sometimes he will be in his crate in the car after walking while we are finishing off with footie stuff with the kids, hopefully when the weather improves and he is a little older he will settle by the side of the pitch so not need to return him to the car.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I also work from home 2-3 days a week and when I am away they go to work with my OH who is self employed and they chill in the office at the workshop ! Thats why we waited to have dogs , we knew how our situation would be now , kids grown up , me at home a lot , OH self employed and can take the dogs to work and that would be the best time to enjoy having dogs ! Dont get me wrong , we do go out and the do get left home alone but its the exception rather than the rule, think it just depends what they get used to from the start, dont think there is any right or wrong as long as the dogs needs are met and they are not distressed when left
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Murphy is left for eight hours in total but in two four hour stints. My Dad pops by to take him for a walk and then the pair of them potter about in the garden for an hour or so.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't mean this horribly as I know the thread wasn't started for anything other than curiousity, but please be careful what details you post on the internet, especially somewhere like a forum where details are all in one place and viewable to anyone who comes along and signs up. Posting your work schedule and letting everyone know when your dogs are home alone (i.e. when your home is empty) could be the wrong kind of information to post up publically for anyone with a little bit of internet knowledge to track down.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Krylr - I posted what Nicola did for me in the Non dog chat - incase you havent yet seen

And good point but I dont work atm but when I do my dogs will be outdoor dogs during the day, we have a field for a garden, so I figure that should be alright - if I put some stimulation around for them and they will get a dog walker but if my OH goes into the Marines I will be looking for a part time job - so I can be with them longer during the day so I couldnt vote
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
My hubby's a full time carer for our son so he's at home a lot which is ideal. I work 3 11.5 hour shifts a week so I'm home for 4 days too. The dogs are never left alone for long.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >