Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bud1801
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2009, 09:51 PM

dog tried to eat a rabbit

Hi, whilst walking my dogs today they spotted a rabbit on a field and as usual chased after, i fully expected the rabbit to disappear and out run my dogs but it tried to run but couldn't move all that well, and both my dogs got it. they didn't draw blood or hurt it in any way that i could see, but it looked like it had mximytosis or however you spell it. is there any danger it could affect my dogs as I'm not sure of the type of illness it is. any help/advice is greatly appreciated
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi, welcome to Dogsey

myxomatosis is a disease that is exclusive to rabbits and it non transferable to other species. Dogs that have eaten myxi rabbits have been known to suffer from sickness and diahorea for a day or so afterwards but thats about it.
bud1801
New Member!
Male 

05-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply, you've put my mind at rest so thank you.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 04:31 AM
I agree its perfectly safe and I feed my birds on Mixy rabbits and boil them up for the dogs and wouldnt if there was any risk.