Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Don't feel guilty hun Get the dog that YOU want

White's are still bred to breed standard, only thing is that they can't be shown as they're classed as a breed fault.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I certainly wouldnt be put off wanting a white GSD, but I would just hope one comes up that has had all the health checks required for the breed and the breeder is a reputable one, I would not however go to a breeder that actually breeds white GSD's specifically, this IMO is NOT breeding for the better of the breed and I would question the breeders ethics.

Mo
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:12 AM
hiya i have a few places that i like the look of but i cant post them on here for anyone to look at!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:13 AM
i wouldnt worry to much about the colour of any dog! even thou i have heard white gsd tend to have behaviour issues but could be totally wrong, as i heard hte same about white boxers but like i said i could be totally wrong

on another hand, if the gsd show people are banging on about standards, then i wouldnt worry as the show world have turned the gsd

working type

show type

look at the show types angle on the back compared to the working type
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
this is what i found!

FACT

Q: Is the White German Shepherd an albino?

A: The White German Shepherd is NOT an albino.
Albinos have no pigmentation where the White German Shepherd has black pigmentation on its nose, eye rims, paws, and around its mouth.

Q: Does The White German Shepherd have a lot of health problems?

A: The White German Shepherd does not have anymore health problems than its coloured counterparts.
In most cases they are healthier because White breeders do not breed for over angulations (as seen frequently in the coloured dogs).

Q: Ahh but White German Shepherds have bad temperaments.

A: The White German Shepherd DOES NOT have a bad temperament (no more than their coloured counterparts).

Q: The White German Shepherd is not recognized by the KC.

A: The White German Shepherd can indeed be registered in this country by the KC with the title German Shepherd Dog (Alsatian) but it is not recognized in the show ring due to the fact the in 1968 The German Shepherd Dog Club of America made the White coat colour a disqualifying fault in Conformation.

The White German Shepherd is indeed recognized by the AKC.
They are registered as German Shepherd Dogs colour White.

They can be shown in The White German Shepherd Dog Club International, and The American White Shepherd Association, to name but a few.

Q: The White German Shepherds are difficult to train.

A: The difference lies in the individual animal, not the coat colour.

The White German Shepherds are used in sectors such as the police, the armed forces, and security.

They have even broken out into stardom and have been used in films and videos.

THE REIGN OF VON STEPHANITZ

When Max von Stephanitz, (recognized as the father of the breed), began a crusade in 1889 to standardize the Shepherd. In doing so, he culled the litters to achieve the colour he desired - the black-and-tan Shepherd. Although white Shepherds were present, they found disfavour with von Stephanitz.

Thus, the opinion of one man quite possibly shaped the future of the German Shepherd Dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Don't feel guilty hun Get the dog that YOU want

White's are still bred to breed standard, only thing is that they can't be shown as they're classed as a breed fault.
"white"GSDs are not bred to the breed standard as it is a highly undesirable colour in the breed standard & so to breed towards producing "whites"is not breeding to the breed standard. BTW there are no disqualifying faults in the UK breed standard for any breed so they can be shown in breed classes, very doubtful that they would be placed, but there is no rule to prevent them being shown
janet68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi

My brother in law has a white one and he is fantastic, he is healthy and he is great in temperament. I would have the dog YOU want and take no notice of anybody else. As said before it is you that will have to live with this dog and love this dog so have what you want and dont go for second best.

Take care
Janet
xx
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I love all the GSD colours white, black, tan and back and plain tan (think thats it!) its just a silly thing some people have because its not 'breed standard'. I dont think it means they are any less of a GSD or healthy or intelligent it is purely aesthestics (sp?). Unless you indend on showing i dont think it matters! I dont think my NI is 'typical to type' colour-wise because she has stayed so dark and most are much lighter in colour. I just think it makes them more special lol. A friend of mine has a pure black longcoat GSD and some look down on her because she doesnt have a 'typical' short black and tan GSD but he's gorgeous. Dont give these people the satisfaction, get what YOU want and what YOU think is beautiful. Remember.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:44 AM
double post
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
this is what i found!

FACT

Q: Is the White German Shepherd an albino?

A: The White German Shepherd is NOT an albino.
Albinos have no pigmentation where the White German Shepherd has black pigmentation on its nose, eye rims, paws, and around its mouth.

Q: Does The White German Shepherd have a lot of health problems?

A: The White German Shepherd does not have anymore health problems than its coloured counterparts.
In most cases they are healthier because White breeders do not breed for over angulations (as seen frequently in the coloured dogs).

Q: Ahh but White German Shepherds have bad temperaments.

A: The White German Shepherd DOES NOT have a bad temperament (no more than their coloured counterparts).

Q: The White German Shepherd is not recognized by the KC.

A: The White German Shepherd can indeed be registered in this country by the KC with the title German Shepherd Dog (Alsatian) but it is not recognized in the show ring due to the fact the in 1968 The German Shepherd Dog Club of America made the White coat colour a disqualifying fault in Conformation.

The White German Shepherd is indeed recognized by the AKC.
They are registered as German Shepherd Dogs colour White.

They can be shown in The White German Shepherd Dog Club International, and The American White Shepherd Association, to name but a few.

Q: The White German Shepherds are difficult to train.

A: The difference lies in the individual animal, not the coat colour.

The White German Shepherds are used in sectors such as the police, the armed forces, and security.

They have even broken out into stardom and have been used in films and videos.

THE REIGN OF VON STEPHANITZ

When Max von Stephanitz, (recognized as the father of the breed), began a crusade in 1889 to standardize the Shepherd. In doing so, he culled the litters to achieve the colour he desired - the black-and-tan Shepherd. Although white Shepherds were present, they found disfavour with von Stephanitz.

Thus, the opinion of one man quite possibly shaped the future of the German Shepherd Dog.
Very out of date now I am afraid. It has been passed by the GSD Breed council & passed to the KC for their ratification that all non standard colours of GSD("White", Blue. Panda etc etc)will be registered as non standard color in the BRS & on registration certificates

The quote you have produced is from a "white"supporting website A site that does not mention the imported epileptic producing dog nor the fact that "white" GSDs cannot work sheep & ergo are not suited for the purpose they were originally bred for.

There is one glaring error you state that the white GSD has been recignised by the AKC & can be shown in GSD classes

I quote from the AKC current GSD breed standard for colour

olor
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.
I've dealt with literally hundreds of "white"GSDs over the years & have yet to find one any where near the breed standard for construction & type & I'm not writing of 10 or 20 years of owning & knowing the breed but in two years time it will be 50 years.

When I first owned GSDs there was the odd white puppy born to correct coloured parents & also to the odd long coat, sadly the money makers with little/no knowledge judged on the bandwagon & began breeding "white" to "white"(one of the worse actually bred the mother of an epileptic stud dog & all her"whites"went back to this bitch & her bloodlines & this breeders regularly bred 20 plus litters a quarter(three months)of "whites"& they often topped 100 litters a year of"white"GSDs)& LC to LC marketing them as rare & more valuable that correctly coloured/coated dogs which as the breeding stock wasn't health tested at all they weren't of course)

No one who breeds "white" to "white"GSDs is breeding to improve the breed they are breeding simply for money
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >