View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 07:47 AM
I have had dog aggressive dogs one thing I did learn is they are not happy dogs which is why they are as they are, they are fine at home alone with their owners but see another dog they are either scared or hate it, I decided after the last one that euthanasia may be kinder, they have to stay on short leads, muzzled and kept away from people and dogs. It is not a happy relaxed life for them or their owners.

Controversial perhaps but it could be the kindest thing in the long run for the dog.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Julie again I have to agree with you. If they could live with humans out in the middle of nowhere never see another dog let alone have to try to live alongside one or to go on walks where there is always the worry of them seeing another dog they live their lives in constant stress not good for their well being or the humans living alongside them.
Having to live in the same house shut away but knowing what is on the other side of the door or in another room surely is not good for their mental state.
If your friend can find another home with no dogs and no other dogs in the vicinity that would be ideal if not I am not sure the other option for this poor dog is so bad.
Sorry if that sounds harsh.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Monica28 View Post
Thank you all for your advise. I talked to her today and she said that the dog is being kenneled in the back room until she can figure out what to do. She has been trying to adopt her out to someone that doesn't have other dogs, but nobody will adopt a "dog aggressive" dog. Guess you can't blame them! She spoke to the shelter and they told her that if she brought the dog back, that she would be unadoptable and euthanized. That is why she doesn't have the heart to bring her back. Between a rock and a hard place.

Those two phrases just sum it all up for me. It's unfortunate your friend has found herself in a situation where she does have this dog. But she doesn't really owe it a life support system for the next 10 years or so. And what sort of life is it for any dog to be 'kenneled in a back room'?

There are worse fates for dogs than being humanely euthanized in my opinion.

If the dog had an incurable illness that made it impossible for it to live with people or other animals safely I think the decision would be an easier one.

Stray dogs here that are reported and picked up are given one week to be claimed or 'adopted' before being PTS. It's why hardly anyone reports them. Even the dog warden bloke will explain this to people who point strays out to him saying 'well you know what will happen to it next week if I take it back'. But if any of those were vicious, aggressive or even looked as if they had some contagious disease I and I know many others wouldn't hesitate to report them to the authorities in the hope they'd come and get them.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi I think that is a very harsh decision,if you send it back to the shelter it will probably be pts,have you got anyone in the family who could have her as you are trying to acclimatise,because if I was in a new environment,it would overwhelm me,and if you could gently introduce her to your other dogs over a period of time,she deserves a chance,it is not the dogs fault that she is in this state.Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Some dogs no matter how gently they are exposed to other dogs will not become dog friendly, and is it fair to the dogs already living there to be put in this position ? No one says it's the dogs fault no one blames the animals it's obviously a human that causes these problems but once they are evident it is not fair to prolong a dogs life when it is clearly unhappy IMO. And I say that having lived with and loved several dog aggressive dogs. Couldn't have loved them more but they limited my friendly dogs life greatly and took some of the fun and pleasure out of being a dog owner.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post

There are worse fates for dogs than being humanely euthanized in my opinion.
Agree with all your post but specially this
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I think that is a very harsh decision,if you send it back to the shelter it will probably be pts,have you got anyone in the family who could have her as you are trying to acclimatise,because if I was in a new environment,it would overwhelm me,and if you could gently introduce her to your other dogs over a period of time,she deserves a chance,it is not the dogs fault that she is in this state.Gemini54
You mean pass the problem onto someone else? Then have it back again? Can't see any sense in that as it will not be getting 'acclimatised' in another home will it?

Would you keep a dog in your house who was terrorising and even attacking the dogs you already have?

If so perhaps you could arrange to take this dog and give it another chance?

I sometimes think you reply to posts before reading them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2013, 11:28 AM
To be fair dogs when rehomed are usually on their best behaviour until they settle in and become comfortable with their new surroundings, this gives you a window of opportunity to introduce the new dog to the resident dogs and set a few ground rules in place but if this dog is on it's best behaviour at the moment then what's to come? Of course it's not the dogs fault but the fosterer has a duty to not put her own dogs in danger from the incoming dog. She may deserve a chance but that chance needs to be with someone who doesn't currently have dogs and we have to acknowledge that sometimes no matter how many chances a dog is given they just may not respond because they are beyond help or the only help forthcoming is the wrong help.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi I always feel,that if a dog has been let down,we should make amends if possible,surely the shelter should be helping more in this transition.No its not easy,but it seems so easy to just give up,its not an object its a living breathing entity and shouldnt be just discarded.I am having problems with a dog but never though she has given major stress would I consider ending her life,she makes some improvements but the next day she is back to what she was months before.I just have to start all over again,you wouldnt throw a child out,because of its behaviour even if its aggressive to other children.Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi I always feel,that if a dog has been let down,we should make amends if possible,surely the shelter should be helping more in this transition.No its not easy,but it seems so easy to just give up,its not an object its a living breathing entity and shouldnt be just discarded.I am having problems with a dog but never though she has given major stress would I consider ending her life,she makes some improvements but the next day she is back to what she was months before.I just have to start all over again,you wouldnt throw a child out,because of its behaviour even if its aggressive to other children.Gemini54
Children grow up and can be helped by communicating with them effectively not to bite others etc, I would never give up on a child. Dogs generally are adult when we see aggression problems set in their ways and scared and they do not grow up and understand in the way a human does what has gone on in it's life previously.

Have you lived with an aggressive dog ? because you seem slightly naïve in what you are saying because having lived with them I can honestly say they are not happy dogs and nothing we did could make them happy.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >