View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Some dogs do NOT appreciate this at all. Personally, my dog loves crowds of children messing over him and making him feel important. He'd protect those RANDOM kids like he protects me. But some dogs aren't like that. My mothers dog was being petted by some kids and I saw that she was not happy, he head was low, her ears folded back and her tail NOT wagging. Right as I was getting ready to pull her back seeing that she wasn't happy, she lunged at one of the kids and snarled. Luckily, he got out of the way. But as you can see, trying to treat all dogs the same can be bad. The dog growled, it's a warning, defensive mechanism. It means "I don't like this". Also poking and prodding the dog might be aggravating him. Children that don't know how to treat animals need to be taught not to do certain things. Teach your kids not to poke at him or mess with him and teach them that if he growls, to leave him alone right away. Also some dogs feel threatened in small spaces or when they are rushed/crowded with lots of people. The other users have given some good advice. I wish you luck!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Thank you I am suitably chastised now and see where i'm going wrong, I will be turning this around right here and now
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Well done, it is early days now and you can turn this around, good luck

Wys
x
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2012, 05:08 PM
i dont take any chances with childeren and dogs,its all inocent, big hugs,kisses and its awsome ,when done right.im my case..there is no direct eye contact, holding faces,no petty on top of head.and no yelling, i try my best to do allof these things,and never left unattended for any reason.my dogs are super with childeren and thats one of the reasons i chose pit and dogo.could you imagine?the damage done if something horrific happened at my home,
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 07:13 PM
If he is unhappy with unknown children doing hand forward/hand back/hand forward etc (often as they gain confidence/lost their nerve/regain confidence...) you could introduce it yourself (as a familiar, controlled. predictable person), in a calm positive way, with treats for calm relaxed acceptance.

It is not always possible to control children who may unpredictably rush up, so while not going looking for such situations, it can increase the safety margin, and give you a few seconds, if you have proofed your dog come to view it as a positive experience, should it happen accidentally, before you can move him out of the way/fend them off!

Do not make it an exciting game, you do not want him jumping and grabbing, more a sit-quietly-whatever-daft -things-people-around-you-are-doing scenario.

Remember build up repetitions slowly and carefully, as he remains calm, and at a speed he is happy with.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-03-2012, 09:51 PM
At best, young(er) dogs get excited by children running around being noisy and boisterous. Our Jake very much wanted to join in when he was younger. An over excited 45kg lab mixed with over exicited children is not a good mix and can quickly end in tears when one of the children gets sent flying. At worst it's not hard to imagine that doggy over excitement could quickly turn to anxiety and beyond...

Best to re-introduce your pup to children in a calm, relaxed and controlled way. Maybe start with older children who can appreciate that they should be gentle with your pup and not start waving their hands around etc. then work 'up' to younger, less predictable children as your pup gets older, wiser and more used to a lot of 'fuss'. good luck!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2