View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Becks7england
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Last 2 walks ruined by aggresive dogs...

Hi im new and wanted to tell you about my last 2 walks with my dog cassie. We walk in a country park with a big wood where we go everyday, we only started going there around 1 month ago and have had little trouble until monday.
We had only just started the walk when an over excited large puppy chased cassie a little way which was fine as it was in good nature, but a few minutes later 3 dogs came running over to her, she is a little nervous anyway but these dogs didnt seem too friendly, one started barking and snarling at cassie and chased after her for quite away and we lost sight of her, this always worrys me as you never know the other dogs intentions, she came back a few minutes later only to be aggresivly chased again, the owner didnt give a damn which annoyed as no end, cassie eventually came to us, looking terrified and still the owner didnt get control of her dog. Another one of her dogs was trying to get the football i was holding, it jumped took the ball and bit me in the process, i left the owner trying to get the ball while i went to get cassie and when i turned back the dogs and the woman were gone along with the ball and cassie was as nervous as anything and dragged as all the way home.
Then today 2-3 dogs came bolting out of nowhere and chased cassie aggressively no owner in sight, we couldnt find cassie and whenever she did come into view they went for her again, a man then came out of the woods with loads of dogs (im guessing a dog walker) and said his dogs were under control and it was my dog attacking them, cassie was so scared she went to the toilet in the middle of them all while they were snarling at her. we were absolutely furious but the man didnt care at all.
Im getting really sick of dog owners with no control over there dog and no cares as to what it gets upto. Does anyone else has this trouble on walks??
Cssie is now seriously nervous of any noises in the woods and so are we.x
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey
Sorry to read about the upsetting walks you have had recently with Cassie unfortunately not everyone is as considerate as you. The problem with walking off lead in large open spaces is just as you have experienced, unsure of what is around the corner ! plus the dogs do appear from out of the bushes. How old is your girl ? I often meet a dog walker, and she can have up to 6 dogs at one time - never on lead! Fortunately all are friendly dogs.

I did however have an incident the other day where a dog was snarling at one of mine, and the owner just said " he doesn't like small dogs" we were walking along the river and he saw me coming, never bothered to put a lead on his dog - I had put leads on both of mine!

Good Luck and i hope your walks improve x
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I totally agree with you about meeting owners with no control, I'm getting sick of it. My boy is nervous of dogs but is fine as long as he can walk away, but I'm meeting so many owners that just don't care and have NO recall and then shout at me when Alf gets nervy and snaps.

So sorry that your walks have been ruined
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I can sympathise with you as I used to have this with Shaan, and he was on a lead

I've had so many arguements with inconsiderate owners. The only thing I can suggest, is have a word with the other dogs owners and if they don't control thier dogs, advise them that you will report them to the relevant authorities.

Oh, BTW, welcome to Dogsey. Why don't you introduce yourself in the introductions forum
Becks7england
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for your comments, it seems im not the only one.

Cassie is a staffie cross (not sure what with) and although many people accuse staffies of being aggressive, cassie hasnt got a nasty bone in her body, shes the sweetest most loving dog i have ever known, she never chases other dogs or go's for them in any way unless of course really provoked, so she isnt bringin the situations on herself, shes really nervous with them now and even with people she doesnt know all because of uncontrolled dogs. Shes 9 months today but shes already a lot taller than a full grown pedigree staffie.

Dog walkers just dont seem to care what the dogs get up to as of course they're not theyre dog and they dont know temperaments well enough to judge reactions to other dogs so dont bother.

I spoke to a few other people walking their dogs just after the second incident and they both said oh the dog walkers are terrible the dogs have attacked mine a few times before and the walkers just dont care. So now i have to plan my walk around them and hope there arent any incidents any time soon.

As for the dog that bit me (thankfully didnt break skin) i did get an "oh sorry" from an owner that day, shame my dog doesnt get the same respect when peoples dogs bite her.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
What a shame for Cassie, you must've felt so bad for her especially that she was so frightened she did the toilet, I would have been really angry, its another one of these folk who don't give a **** for any one else, unfortunately theres a lot of them around.
Becks7england
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I did feel so sorry for her we stopped for ten minutes or so and had big cuddles and when we got home she was spoilt rotten hehe.
I said to her today "do you want to go a walk up the hills??"" and she jumped up so excited, i was so glad it hasnt put her off, bless her. Luckily we had a good walk.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Gald to hear you had a good walk. Some more of those will help her to get her confidence back.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome to dogsy ,and so sorry your having such a horrible time on your walks ,some people are just so ignorant ,is it possible you could find another route ,at least untill you and cassie have regained a bit of confidence .but if the worse comes to the worse maybe you could speak to the park wardens ,could be they've had complaints before and will have a word with these idiots ,good luck
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi, welcome to dogsey, so sorry your having problems on your walks, you're not alone I'm afraid, we were out walking one day and there were two big dogs out with an old man, he had a walking stick and his dogs were off the lead, Jack at the time wasn't, we were too close to the main road for my liking, his dogs both came up and attacked Jack, not just growled or barked, attacked, my son managed to get Jack away, and the old man got his stick inbetween, he didn't hit any of the dogs, but they left Jack alone, then he had a go at us for having Jack on the lead, as his dogs only attack another dog if it's on the lead! So it was our fault for his dogs having a go, sometimes it beggers belief some peoples attitude