View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Because the reulting pups are friendly, outgoing and sociable and look different to both labs and poodles. Because SOME of those crosses have coats which are suitable for pet owners with allergies (although it is impossible to tell if a litter will have that quality)..
But again IMO lab and poodle puppies are friendly, outgoing and sociable so the only reason here then is they look different. So now breeders should be aiming for something that looks different?

Very few of the pups produced were non shedding and its not the hair anyway, there are already lots of breeds that do not shed for allegy sufferers so again why apart from to look different.

Yes, there are bad breeders out there, I really don't think that you should write off all breeders that 'cross' dogs, it is unfair and untrue that they are all bad breeders.
Ive yet to meet a breeder of mongrels that breeds, in what is my opinion only, an ethical manner obviously our opinions on ethical differ but thats life and we will have to agree to differ.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Why shouldn't all dogs in a litter be sold on? Sorry I just don't get that.
I am not, as I've said, talking about puppy farming here. I am talking about someone with a pet GSD (for the sake of argument) with a fantastic temperament and health record, breeding a litter occassionally, with a similar GSD, a pet, with an excellent health and temperament history. They would,like any decent breeder, check on who the pups were going to and provide follow up info, where's the problem??? Why not sell all the litter? Why not charge a decent price?
In my book anyone who breeds solely to sell all the pups IS a puppy farmer in my opinion. As I've said before got no complaints on charging a decent price for puppies but what is the point in breeding just to sell all the puppies? What exactly is the aim? Breeding for sale, like puppy farmers do.
With reagrds to the labradoodle thing, if you ask trainers they will tell you a different side to how untrainable some of these dogs are. From a groomers point ov view I've yet to groom a labradoodle with a non-moulting easy care coat, they are horrendous.
Becky
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Why cross???
To get the best of two breeds thats why. Isn't that what has always been done?
Ahh but how can you be sure to "get the best of both breeds"?
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
So someone who breeds for people that want pets is a puppy farmer? You learn something new everyday. I thought a puppy farmer was someone who breeds indiscriminately, without a care for the bitch or the puppies' welfare, soley with the aim of making money.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But again IMO lab and poodle puppies are friendly, outgoing and sociable so the only reason here then is they look different. So now breeders should be aiming for something that looks different?

Very few of the pups produced were non shedding and its not the hair anyway, there are already lots of breeds that do not shed for allegy sufferers so again why apart from to look different.

Ive yet to meet a breeder of mongrels that breeds, in what is my opinion only, an ethical manner obviously our opinions on ethical differ but thats life and we will have to agree to differ.
Guide dogs do it al the time. A substantial number, of their dogs are first gen crosses.

No, I didn't say breeders should be looking to breed something that looks different, it is entirely up to the breeder. IF they are reputable and IF they have sound stock and IF they do all the health checks possible...then why not?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
So someone who breeds for people that want pets is a puppy farmer? You learn something new everyday. I thought a puppy farmer was someone who breeds indiscriminately, without a care for the bitch or the puppies' welfare, soley with the aim of making money.
If you breed to sell the entire litter what exactly is the aim if it isn't for monetary gain? You're not going to do it for nothing are you?
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Guide dogs do it al the time. A substantial number, of their dogs are first gen crosses.
but they don't breed theirs for sale, they breed to produce working dogs that can improve the lives of blind people.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
In my book anyone who breeds solely to sell all the pups IS a puppy farmer in my opinion. As I've said before got no complaints on charging a decent price for puppies but what is the point in breeding just to sell all the puppies? What exactly is the aim? Breeding for sale, like puppy farmers do.
With reagrds to the labradoodle thing, if you ask trainers they will tell you a different side to how untrainable some of these dogs are. From a groomers point ov view I've yet to groom a labradoodle with a non-moulting easy care coat, they are horrendous.
Becky
Becky that is quite an accusation to throw around.
PUppy farmers have no regard for health checks, temperament or where the pups end up. They have no interest in the pups once they've left and offer no follow up care.
That is a terrible accusation IMO.
Ask what trainers about labradoodles?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are puppy farmers, but they are certainly producing puppies for profit. What other explanation is there?

Most of the breeders of border collies that I know keep a pup or two back for themselves to continue their line of good working dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
but they don't breed theirs for sale, they breed to produce working dogs that can improve the lives of blind people.
Becky
Errrrr..yes.
They breed fantastic, healthy, highly sociable and easy to train dogs.
Why would it be wrong for a reputable 'pet' breeder to do the same?
Page 10 of 54 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »