register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 26 of 29 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:46 PM
So sorry Ramble! got my dates wrong, but as I said, this thread is now tired and VERY boring, feels like 2 weeks reading all this bickering! what more can you achieve please tell me?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
no one even commented on my link - if anyone looked - to busy sinking to new levels!
I looked - but have so far stayed out of this thread.

It makes nasty reading (for me) but I doubt it has much to do with the recession, I suspect such practices have existed for a while. I am sure some Foals are born the wrong sex etc and are 'disposed of' in such ways. And the disposal of older animals has been going on for a long time.

The rest - to be fair - when you have been on this forum for a while you can see those things coming a mile of!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Sorry DD, I just looked and am sickened. As I expected I would be.
wrong isnt it.. This is where the double standards come in!

People constantly moan and try and educate against bad breeders because of the dogs passed around and dumped, being PTS in rescues.

Yet its alright for a number of horses a year to be killed because their not good enough, and theres nothing to be made from them. I wonder what would happen if failed/retired show dogs were sent to be PTS - would that be ok to some also... Baffles me it does..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
So sorry Ramble! got my dates wrong, but as I said, this thread is now tired and VERY boring, feels like 2 weeks reading all this bickering! what more can you achieve please tell me?
Gosh - seems that you can never get it right.

If you are not talking about it other than Race weekend you are a part time campaigner - if you carry on too long it gets boring
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:51 PM
wrong isnt it.. This is where the double standards come in!

People constantly moan and try and educate against bad breeders because of the dogs passed around and dumped, being PTS in rescues.

Yet its alright for a number of horses a year to be killed because their not good enough, and theres nothing to be made from them. I wonder what would happen if failed/retired show dogs were sent to be PTS... Baffles me it does..
Me too - none of it is acceptable.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:52 PM
The ever so glamorous side of racing...
sorry just noticed it
No doubt it is a v unbalanced article but it is v sad but not at all surprising
Unfortunatly when money is involved with animals it is human nature for some to let care slip
The horses are just stock, they have no point but to race and make money for their greedy people who clearly dont care about them
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
I have now said twice job talk is done with, discussing
the flaws in the GN is educational may therefore help
with change.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I heard the winning owner say racing
was a sport and a business on the tv
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Thoroughbred horses die horrible deaths, moorland ponies die horrible deaths. All are overbred.

You can pick up dartmoor ponies for a few pounds.

It isn't new, it has been going on for years. My friend used to go to the meat markets and buy if she had space for another pony---Southwark I think it was.

It stands alongside all the other crap things we as a human race, do to the beings we think are below us.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I bet it was just one sided - but it highlights the 'darker' side. I would hope any person that had the slightest little bit of compassion towards animals found that article un plesant.
There are always going to be a darker side, but I guess its a question of finding the darker side bareable for the sake of the good..But then again what good comes from horse racing - I am yet to here of one benefit...
Page 26 of 29 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >