Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm looking after a Kerry Blue.

Didn't expect that to come into work, he came in recently, have to say when I heard a Kerry was coming in was expecting a cross breed , although I've heard he's three, and then he's four, but he's still black
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Some of them do seem to miss out on the silvering/fading gene that turns them 'blue' - or only have it very lightly. There was one at an Agility class that I used to go to - two years old and still black!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh lovely! Have you any piccies please?

Parker was rehomed to us when he was almost 2 and he was still black then he began to change to grey. In the books it says the colour should change by 18 months I think.

Is it a nice temperament?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice to know he's not on his own then, although I am teasing him by calling him a Kerry Black lol, Kerry I'll let you decide, that thead about the Labradoodle, it wasn't a labradoodle, it was him, the owner never mentioned the breed, I never saw him in the flesh till he was dropped off, and was told labradoodle by someone else, so he was the DA dog who put 15 stitches in someones leg, he spins, a lot, and has a few issues, but he's not as bad as I thought he would be, he is responsive, playful and friendly when he's not spinning, and seems clever, but he spins, and when doing so, well I tried to see if sound aversion could distract him, so we could move him or get his attention to get him to stop, I even dropped a metal mop bucket near him onto concrete, didn't even slow down, he goes straight into his own world, he really is the worst spinner I've seen. And if anyone moans that I tried sound aversion so be it, but I personally feel that if a dog is stressed to a point nothing seems to be going home, then sometimes a quick shock (that wont cause them pain) to get them to stop, even for a second, so you can use positive things to get them to learn how to cope.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Er no I don't think I would consider him as having a nice temperament if he's bitten someone to cause them to have 15 stitches.

I hope he can be rehabilitated though. Kerries need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation and if they don't get this input they can be nightmares. Parker is almost 10 and he has been for about 2 hours exercise today and still wanted to play with his toys when we got home!

We got offered a male Kerry Blue that had bitten the owner's neighbour but that was a definite no-no from Jamie. Also probably not advisable to have 2 males either.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Seeing him now it looks like he could be rehabd, he will need a experienced home, oringinally came from another rescue, owner admitted doing no training with him, and he seems to be improving daily, the spinnings better then his first day, but I think he will always do it, apparently he use to do it in the home to, he is cute, and in his good moments he's a great dog, but I have to say I wouldn't choose to have a dog like him as a pet.