Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
Yes you can - illegally.
There are no qualifications required for someone to be a dog trainer. There are requirements if you want to join certain organisations and I would presume you would need to have the relevant insurance to legally take classes or do one to ones but unless something has changed very recently there is no license required and no qualifications required to be a dog trainer.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes you can - illegally.
Narka, I am not sure you are au fait with the laws in the UK, but let me apprise you of them.

Nobody needs a licence or a qualification to set themselves up as a dog trainer or behaviourist in the UK.

It is not a requirement that anyone meets the legal definition of competency by taking an exam etc.

There are, unfortunately, no laws governing the who can set themselves up as a trainer/behaviourist; neither is there any national licensing body.

I hope that clarifies things for you, in fact I am sure Danny will confirm this if you ask him at your next training session.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
If you would know more about dog trainers and behaviorists and read more books about it and watch professional videos, you would have different opinion!
I have been training other people's dogs, other people & retraining rescue dogs successfully without the use of physical violence for a very long time, I don't need to watch videos of idiots like Millan nor read his books
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately not a brave human would call him self a behaviorist or trainer without a license to do so.
In the USA & the UK you do not need any licence to call yourself a dog trainer or behaviourist
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I have read and watched enough to comment and I still watching, reading and expanding my knowledge!

Good books to read:
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
You recommend these yet adore Millan ????? Chalk & cheese come to mind
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Yes you can - illegally.
Not illegal in the UK there is no licensing system for behaviourists or dog trainers.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I have been training other people's dogs, other people & retraining rescue dogs successfully without the use of physical violence for a very long time, I don't need to watch videos of idiots like Millan nor read his books
This 'idiot' as you call him have been training other people dogs and successfully, his great training techniques are shown and known in many places over the world (TV, videos, books) and are well appreciated and used.

If he would be as you call him, he would not be successful and not respected by so many people!

Also, if you have a negative opinion and don't like his techniques you don't call a person an idiot. Furthermore, if somebody don't like your training techniques, you are not called an idiot are you?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
This 'idiot' as you call him have been training other people dogs and successfully, his great training techniques are shown and known in many places over the world (TV, videos, books) and are well appreciated and used.

If he would be as you call him, he would not be successful and not respected by so many people!

Also, if you have a negative opinion and don't like his techniques you don't call a person an idiot. Furthermore, if somebody don't like your training techniques, you are not called an idiot are you?
There are plenty threads on here about his methods, I suggest you search and have a look at WHY we dislike him

as do pretty much all the professional training and behavioural bodies in the UK

He is NOT a trainer or behaviourist, even he says he isnt
He has no qualifications
He is simply a TV entertainer

There is a reason why his shows have the 'dont try this at home' stamped on then when Dont blaime the dog USA does not have these thing even when she has some episodes where she deals with just as aggressive reactive dogs as he does
She isnt getting bit, putting the owners in danger or infact manhandling the dogs in any way at all
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 07:19 AM
My my.
Not a fan of cm or using aggression towards any animal. Simples.
Anyway 4 walks later And was actually a pleasure this morning. He's no where near perfect And had we have been on the same side of the road as another dog he'd have probably lunged lol. But was nice and enjoyable anyways. Thanks for all the advice
I was seriously thinking I couldn't manage him anymore but after hearing he's 'normal' I am filled with hope
May I add. No aggression needed here. He's not respecting me yet but what teenager does? Lol!!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by cclpegs View Post
My my.
Not a fan of cm or using aggression towards any animal. Simples.
Anyway 4 walks later And was actually a pleasure this morning. He's no where near perfect And had we have been on the same side of the road as another dog he'd have probably lunged lol. But was nice and enjoyable anyways. Thanks for all the advice
I was seriously thinking I couldn't manage him anymore but after hearing he's 'normal' I am filled with hope
May I add. No aggression needed here. He's not respecting me yet but what teenager does? Lol!!

Fab - that is lovely to hear

And yes, your Lab is absolutely, totally normal - full of energy, bounce, interest in other dogs, people, etc

Looking forward to hearing more about your boy as you and he continue working together - Labs are wonderful, am sure you will have lots of fun together

NARKA:

Whether you like it or not, the objective reality is that 'alpha rolls' and grabbing a dog by the neck are cruel. No two ways about it. Now, if you prefer to treat your dog in this way, that's your choice. But if you then tell us about it, we WILL speak up because your dog cannot!

I hope in your next life, you come back as a pet dog - and that your owner uses these horrible techniques on you.
Page 11 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »