Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Why do you feed your dog what you do

As is says in the title.

Sweep is a 14 year old CKC who is fed bakers. Now i know you're all running in horror, but it is the only thing he will eat, and boy have we tried others! And never underestimate the ability of a fussy CKC to starve themselves, and i'm not in the business of starving a 14 year old dog. Once a week he'll have some cooked human meat of whatever was on offer in the supermarket instead.

Robbie is a 14 month old racing grey... who is fed some racing mix or another... not sure what mark has him on atm.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Raw - because the dry was giving him squits and it was cheaper than quality dry dog food.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Because it suits them all and they all do well on it.

tbh, I don't get involved in the what I feed my dog because there is always someone who has a downer on that brand and I got frustrated having to defend what I do. I know what my dogs need and I give it to them. I just don't feed the overpriced, well packaged, well advertised food anymore However, it is unbranded and has similar ingrediants to another well known brand I used to feed, but half the price.

Helen
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Can't really answer as I haven't quite settled on anything yet
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I feed what I do because I believe it to be the best diet for them, I have no proof of this, but it makes me happy and them fit and well.

My dogs would be quite happy scoffing (insert relevant ghastly brand here) I am sure and maybe just as fit and well, who knows?

I am lucky enough to be able to be in a position not to be confined by cost (at the moment) so my choices are based solely on what I think is good value for money.
Steeleye Span
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I feed what I do because:
So far Pearl is eating the combination of dry puppy food and wet trays that she is getting.
The ingredients are the best I can get on the tight budget I am currently on.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Because I think it is the best food for my dog,plus contains no nastys such as antioxidants and preservatives, and has a high meat content, and no crap fillers.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I feed mine on mainly raw, with some Acana because I believe it's a very healthy option for them and they do well on it. Rio just has the meat and bones without the Acana, as any kind of carbs causes her to have itchy ears and skin.

ETA I have tried many many brands of commercial food - Dan seems to do well on anything, I suspect Keiko is the same, it was mainly Rio's itchiness that caused me to keep trying things until we cracked it, and we seem to have this time.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I feed Skinners because it is affordable, decent quality, contains no crap, easily available, British made and most importantly, suits my dogs. I also feed NatureDiet for the same reasons.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I feed my dogs raw because after a lot of research and hearing lots of other peoples brilliant stories about it I decided it would be the best thing for my dogs.
I am very happy with my decision because I have already seen such a difference in them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >