View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:29 AM

Fishy People? Pleco breeding success hurrah!

For anyone who is fishy, we've just found our 4th batch of eggs from our L183 starlight bristlenose colony and I am bouncing.

Bloody male kicked them out, but it's okay I have my egg tumbler handy and have fashioned a rearing thingy which is snail proof.

Fingers crossed for the wiggle of tiny tails in about 10 days

This may mean nothing to most, but for those who might be vaguely interested, the L183 is a particularly attractive kind of bristlenose catfish, which is particularly hard to breed in the home aquarium (think latest figure was about 5 in the UK?) so I'm pretty chuffed!

We have a tank full of babies from batch no.2 as well (no.1 and 3 didn't survive - first kicked out and snails got there first, third eaten as we upset Dad ).

Today our crime was mooching around in front of his tank too much, he kicked out his kids and scarpered to the darkest corners of the tank. He's useless as far as catfish Dads go but our lady really likes him!

Sorry, just SO excited!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2010, 06:03 AM
We use to kep fish many years ago and it is very exciting when the rarer fish or harder to breed ones have babies.

Our son and his children have an aquarium and some plecoes (sp) and they have three good sized babies swimming around now after a 3rd attempt by their pair.

Good luck with them.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Thank you Lynn

Aww congrats to your son and his children for getting some babies. I do love baby plecos.

We have many different species here and many do breed. The sense of achievement that comes with every clutch is immense though, don't think it will ever get less.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
For anyone who is fishy, we've just found our 4th batch of eggs from our L183 starlight bristlenose colony and I am bouncing.

Bloody male kicked them out, but it's okay I have my egg tumbler handy and have fashioned a rearing thingy which is snail proof.

Fingers crossed for the wiggle of tiny tails in about 10 days

This may mean nothing to most, but for those who might be vaguely interested, the L183 is a particularly attractive kind of bristlenose catfish, which is particularly hard to breed in the home aquarium (think latest figure was about 5 in the UK?) so I'm pretty chuffed!

We have a tank full of babies from batch no.2 as well (no.1 and 3 didn't survive - first kicked out and snails got there first, third eaten as we upset Dad ).

Today our crime was mooching around in front of his tank too much, he kicked out his kids and scarpered to the darkest corners of the tank. He's useless as far as catfish Dads go but our lady really likes him!

Sorry, just SO excited!!
I have absolutely NO clue what on earth you are on about, but you seem really pleased, so.................
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have absolutely NO clue what on earth you are on about, but you seem really pleased, so.................
LOL!

Thank you
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Congrats it is a great feeling when fish breed, as many will only breed under the right conditions.

Saying that we started with a young pair of Bristle Nosed Plecs, and have now lost count of the babies. Dad seems to do nothing else but look after batch after batch. We will be sending him on a holiday to one of our other aquariums for a well earned rest.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I've had a number of albino bristle nose plec babies, non have survived though
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I've had a number of albino bristle nose plec babies, non have survived though

They are quite hard to rear initially, especially in a community tank. We have nursery tanks for our new babies. The one thing about baby fish (and axolotls as it happens) is that they just cannot find adequate food in a big tank and starve to death. Our small nurseries have no substrate so the food lands on the bottom and they can find it immediately, and they also have a fairly small area to cover in order to find their food.

It's the only way they survive in any decent numbers

Having said that I'm a complete softy and go round the nursery tanks of all stages and fish out any skinny looking fish to go back to the little tank and bulk up. In most tanks/homes they would go unnoticed and die.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Congrats it is a great feeling when fish breed, as many will only breed under the right conditions.

Saying that we started with a young pair of Bristle Nosed Plecs, and have now lost count of the babies. Dad seems to do nothing else but look after batch after batch. We will be sending him on a holiday to one of our other aquariums for a well earned rest.
Lol we rotate boys so that they always get a break. It takes so much out of them. Mind you, our boys get VERY fat before they go back with the girls, so I think they can manage. And some boys just decide they've had enough and abandon their eggs halfway through, We have only a few rock-solid Dads who stay through thick and thin, so your boy is doing good!