Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
No it isn't an APDT class. There are a couple of training classes somewhat further away that I am checking out at the moment and there is a very good APDT trainer that I know so could get 1-to-1 sessions if I wish.
To be truthful I am wondering if I want to go down the competition obedience road just now. I have my hands full working on her recall with other dogs around. I almost dare not say it but there is a bit of improvement this last week in that she will come back if the other dog stops running around whereas before she would just hover out of reach. Thank goodness for pigs ears! I cut them into bits and she loves them!
It is so hard isn't it? I think what the weekend has taught me is that I do just want to have fun with him in a safe class. I didn't feel that was safe with the aggressive dog on a slip lead...nor was it fun.

I have been giving a lot more thought to this.
I am a teacher by trade and if I had a class of 23...and me...even with just me and a helper, I may do a whole class intro, but then I would group the class to do different tasks according to ability and work intensively with one or 2 groups, or wander around everyone. That way the children can learn at their level.

In a dog training scenario I think it should be run in a similar manner. A 13 week old pup cannot be trained in the same class as a 13 year old dog...nor can a handler who knows what they are doing with heaps of experience be expected to do the same class as a new dog owner.

There is no reason in a classs situation, why a class of 20 can't be split into 4 ability groups doing different things, then regroup to show what they have learnt?
Surely that would be better than 20+ people at different levels with 20+ dogs at different levels trying to learn and do exactly the same thing??? Just in terms of attention span it is impossible.

If I taught in the way the trainer taught (and I am not really referring to the dog I am referring to the people) I would never have got a job.

People deserve better. People do not learn well in the situation I saw on Saturday...and nor do dogs.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4