Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
in an ideal world.. yes.. but the point is.. these people clearly over reacted to what the dog did...

im not sure my rotties would take that from a stranger very well.
Hey im not defending their actions, but I dont think you get how intimidating it is to have a dog bounding across a field full whack to get to YOU.

Dog lover or not, when it happened to me with my mates GSD, I bricked it, and was well up for a ruck. Ok so I never hit the dog (the wire fence sorted that one) but I did hit my mate.

The fact is that if I'm in a public place and im walking a dog then the place is not mine wholly. I share it with whoever is also there, and I ensure to keep good distance between them and us UNLESS they're obviously keen on striking conversation. I will maintain this, even if it means putting the dog back on lead.

Above all, I hold the belief that neither me or the dog is welcome to approach unless it has been made obviously clear. Maintaining this approach has kept both myself and every single dog I've walked safe.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Another example...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=95211
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Hey im not defending their actions, but I dont think you get how intimidating it is to have a dog bounding across a field full whack to get to YOU.

Dog lover or not, when it happened to me with my mates GSD, I bricked it, and was well up for a ruck. Ok so I never hit the dog (the wire fence sorted that one) but I did hit my mate.

The fact is that if I'm in a public place and im walking a dog then the place is not mine wholly. I share it with whoever is also there, and I ensure to keep good distance between them and us UNLESS they're obviously keen on striking conversation. I will maintain this, even if it means putting the dog back on lead.

Above all, I hold the belief that neither me or the dog is welcome to approach unless it has been made obviously clear. Maintaining this approach has kept both myself and every single dog I've walked safe.
the point being if they were so scared of the dog.. surely they wouldnt have grabbed it and hit it??
fear of a dog would be to get out its way.. then give the owner a mouth full... sounds more to me like they were just being wide... smart arsed.

And yes I do realise the importance of my dogs not running up to people.. Im LUCKY.. Im a dog trainer with very well trained dogs.. but not every dog owner has my experiance...
AGAIN never say never.. it could happen to anyone... my dogs have 100% recall.. but there COULD always be that once it happend...
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I bet they're in the same camp as you or I - unable to run at 40mph :P
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
I bet they're in the same camp as you or I - unable to run at 40mph :P
fair play.. but im not buying they were scared of the dog.. not when they punched it..

I honestly think they were just being mean
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry but i should have titled this something else,wasnt thinking at the time this morning,was just fuming,raging an very mad!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:03 PM
If it had been me, I think my OH would have been getting a phone call from the police station, and I would prob be charged with assault ! I would find it very hard to keep my temper in a situation like this, and at the least would have had a right verbal set to, and I suspect some violence might have taken place ! I am wary if my dogs go close to strangers in the park, and always call them back, because I don't trust people to behave well, and don't want to put my dogs at risk, but if someone hit one of them,they would be sorry.I wouldn't start a fight, but I'd finish one.
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Flow wasnt bounding at anyone!!!
She was running over the field to get to the other side,all she did was brush the women's leg.

dont think ill start another thread on here again
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf View Post
Flow wasnt bounding at anyone!!!
She was running over the field to get to the other side,all she did was brush the women's leg.

dont think ill start another thread on here again
So she was coming from behind the woman?

I think a lot is getting lost in translation - I am finding it very difficult to picture the situaion you were in - sorry.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:08 PM
She was running over the field to get to the other side,all she did was brush the women's leg
If she was running past, how did the woman have time to hit her?
Page 6 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »