View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Excitement urination- when will he outgrow it?

When people come to see us Tigger sprinkles all over the place! He has done this ever since we've had him and we realise its a unconscious reaction so always make sure we don't react negatively. However, especially with Christams looming (and my hall carpet completely ruined!) Im wondering when he is likely to outgrow this behaviour?

Its not possible he will always do this is it?

The only time he does it with people he knows is if he is really wound up, or surprised by people who make a massive fuss of him.

Any ideas?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
When people come to see us Tigger sprinkles all over the place! He has done this ever since we've had him and we realise its a unconscious reaction so always make sure we don't react negatively. However, especially with Christams looming (and my hall carpet completely ruined!) Im wondering when he is likely to outgrow this behaviour?

Its not possible he will always do this is it?

The only time he does it with people he knows is if he is really wound up, or surprised by people who make a massive fuss of him.

Any ideas?
Hi Tigger how old is Tigger now, it may help to make sure Tigger is 'empty' so check he has been out to relieve himself before visitors arrive.

Ask people to ignore him when they arrive, then speak to him in a calm bright tone when he has had time to calm down. Also ask them to crouch down when speaking to him so they don't look so intimidating and suggest they allow him to aproach them .

Try to boost his confidence by praising him whenever you can and for just being calm and quiet.

Above all never shout at him or express disapproval at the urination or his confidence will diminish even further.

It might be a good idea to get the vet to check things out too when next you are there just to be sure there is no physical problem.

Puppies tend to grow out of submissive urination as their confidence grows.
Carole
Supervisor

13-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Finn used to do it too but he did grow out of out at about 18 months or so He used to get so excited at seeing family members that he did not see that often.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Hiya Mini
Tigs is eight months later this month. He seems to sprinkle even when he is not full- how does he do that? LOL

Also, as daft as it sounds, he doesnt allow people to ignore him when they arrive. He pretends he is a cat and wraps himself around their legs! Which is lovely and cute until he sprinkles on their shoes.

Do you think it might help to sort of 'flood' the behaviour, as in over stimulate him, maybe at a place with lots of people etc or does this not work with dogs?
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Ooh, Im a little depressed after reading it could be raining in this house (LOL) til he's 18 months!

Good job ceramic tiles are being put down in the hall after Christmas. God only knows what my visitors will make of the mess he has left, he has also taken offence to my choice of wallpaper in the hall too, although thankfully this was last months favourite way to stress me out.

All i can say is ,he should thank his lucky stars he is one cute looking dog!
Carole
Supervisor

13-12-2006, 12:28 AM
It did not happen all the time til Finn was 18 months only occasionally when he saw certain family members who would play boxer style with him maybe only a handful of times from about a year +
Meg
Supervisor

13-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
Hiya Mini
Tigs is eight months later this month. He seems to sprinkle even when he is not full- how does he do that? LOL

Also, as daft as it sounds, he doesnt allow people to ignore him when they arrive. He pretends he is a cat and wraps himself around their legs! Which is lovely and cute until he sprinkles on their shoes.

Do you think it might help to sort of 'flood' the behaviour, as in over stimulate him, maybe at a place with lots of people etc or does this not work with dogs?
Hi Tigger I know it's amazing where it all comes from ,
even if Tigger pretends to be a cat ask the visitors to ignore him until he is calm rather than rewarding the unwanted behaviour with attention
I don't understand the last bit about flooding.
I would say ignore the submissive behaviour/build his confidence with praise when you can.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

13-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Sorry to be a "wet blanket' but our first dobe NEVER grew out of it, but it was only with certain family members,so we made sure that he had been out before they arrived and that he met them outside, this way we did manage to keep most of the carpets dry. Kath
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Ollie also does this,most times he is asleep when people come in and it is a race to get him outside to do a wee,but unfortunately he has normally started to tinkle on peoples shoes.I am also hoping he will outgrow it.
skyde
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Tigger 2,

I take it from the picture that he is a ESS, I had the same problem with all of my ess's, it is just pure excitement, they do grow out of it eventually. My vet laughs as my male 6 year old ess piddles all over him as he is so pleased to see him. Last time we went he was wearing a plastic boiler suit for the occasion. They just seem to love life so much that when a new situation arrises or they see someone new the spaniel piddle happens. Sorry can't be anymore help but apart from to assure you that they are renowned for this and it does get better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >