View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rottiemom85
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2010, 04:57 PM

My 6 month old rottie won't stop chewing on our porch, what should I do?

I have tried using a anti-chewing detterent but it attracts him. I've also tried using other homemade remedies such as cayenne pepper and hot sauce and he absolutely loves it. Any recommendations? He doesn't stay on the porch during the day it's only at night when we are asleep. And we have put our rocking chairs and other objects in front of the specific spots on which he likes to chew. But he keeps nudging them out of the way to get to those spots. HELP!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Have the dog sleep indoors? And provide chew toys?
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Your dog is clearly unhappy at being left alone in this place at night time. That unhappy that he is spending time he should be resting to try to physically remove the barriers between you and he.

If I where youI would ask myself why is my dog so unhappy left alone?

Perhaps he is bored - does he get a lot of stimuatkl
.lation during the day? Perhaps he is genuinely fightened or uncomfortable in this place? Would you like to sleep there alone at night? Perhaps something happens outside the room that causes him anxiety? Have you taught him how to cope when left alone?

Personally, my dogs are indoors with me at night and I have never had this problem. Why can the dog not come in with you at night? That would certainly stop this particular behaviour!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi Stacey at 6 months old your puppy will be completing the process of teething and has a physical need to chew . Does he have a good supply of safe things to chew like nylabones and strong chew toys.

He doesn't stay on the porch during the day
Where does he go during the day, does he have a bed ?
A puppy needs a 'safe' place of his own with a bed where he can retreat day or night somewhere like a corner of the kitchen.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Stacey at 6 months old your puppy will be completing the process of teething and has a physical need to chew . Does he have a good supply of safe things to chew like nylabones and strong chew toys.

A great point. Also worth noting that puppies who are regularly fed with real RAW bones are usually so worn out form munching their way throgh their tea that they haven;t the energy fr door frames!

WHat you feed your dog is in itself, a much bigger subject, My puppies, raised on at least one chicken wing or lamb rib bone a day from 7 weeks old, gave me no household chewing problems.

Dogs and puppies are designed to chew. AS suggested nylabones and chew toys can be usefull as can raw hide (though not imported from India as these are preserved in arsenic) especially for those puppies for whom bones are not an option.

Good luck.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
WD40 I use to do all the woodwork before I left my pup and it stoped him chewing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have the dog sleep indoors? And provide chew toys?
Agree, why is he excluded at night, he is only a baby ??

Are you trying to turn him into a gaurd dog??
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,

Sorry but I don't quite follow your post (maybe I'm just being a bit dense). Where is your porch exactly? I'm assuming that a porch in the US is different to a porch here in the UK. My porch is too small to leave even my 7 month old GSD puppy in and aside from that, I want her with me, not shut out at night. Also, it woudl be easy for someone to take her even if the doors were locked as my porch is on the front of the house.

Can you not allow your dog to sleep in the house? I'm not sa\ying he has to be in your bed. My dogs are not allowed upstairs at all (although Zane doesn't believe me!). But they sleep together - the 2 boys on their beds and my pup in the big crate. They all get a small treat at bedtime and they're quite happy. They have each other for company if they need it and they don't chew anything.

What sort of stimulation does your dog get during the day? Even if he's not old enough for extensive physical exercise there's nothign to stop you training him and doing mentally stimulating stuff with him. There are also toys on the market that with a bit of thought from the dog, will release a treat. it makes them think, keeps them occupied and from chewing other stuff and they can easily wear themselves out with these.

What have you already tried in order to stop him chewing? I think it's very sad that he's so desperate to either get to you or satisfy his need to chew that he's moving stuff out of the way.

Firstly I'd suggest bringing him in at night and getting some chewy stuff that's suitable for a pup of his age and breed. If you're still bothered abotu him chewing or he doesn't stop, then get a crate and train him to use it as his bed/quiet time/ time alone. I'd also suggest doing some formal training with him, whether alone or in a group at a class - it will still wear him out. Reinforce this daily. Also, make sure he gets 2 walks, appropriate for his age every day with some time also allowed to snuffle in bushes and hedges etc. If you haven't trained him in recall then use a long line.

Everytime you do something with him, he's learning. It shouldn't take long. How long have you had him and how long has he been chewing like this?

Once you really start to work at it with him, it shouldn't take long to resolve at all. Even if he's just teething, he'll grow out of it. But young dogs NEED to chew SOMETHING. If he hasn't got anything else to chew on, then the porch and furniture it will be.

Laura xx
rottiemom85
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Well first my porch is on the front of my house, and no my dogs are not staying in the house sorry to upset all of you who believe in that! I have two other rotts that my 6 month old plays with during the day and believe me, he gets his exercise. And during the day when he's not on the porch he has him as place that he has made under some hedges next to the porch that keeps him cool, he has moved the leaves and broke off extra limbs and stuff so he can lay on the cold dirt. He has plenty of toys like chew ropes and the sqeaky toys. I have tried to give him the rawhide bones, but my two year old male has a big hole, and the 6 month old likes to bury the bones in there, so there is no point in buying them we he gets them and then buries them. And other methods I've tried has been other mixtures like sprays and detterents to spray on the railings to try and prevent him from chewing. And Jackbox, no I'm not trying to have him as a guard dog. We are just not allowing dogs, especially of that size in our new home. We love our dogs uncondtionally as if they were our kids, but they are meant to stay outside not in! And trust me, he's about 65 lbs, he can hold his own! Lotsforus, will the WD40 harm him if he decides to try it? He's a very curious dog. Thats why I have yet to use ammonia or bleach. And stumpywop, he gets walked, but here in the summertime it gets up in the 100's so its really almost to hot to walk him. But he gets exercise when he plays with the others as I mentioned. I will get him a "Kong" toy that has the treat inside that will fall-out and see if that works.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I think Americans obviously have very different ideas about dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >