Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 01:29 PM

GRR! Broccoli for dogs, yes or no?!

I'm sick of reading contradicting advice on whether broccoli is good for your dogs or not. I've just read that the stalks are fantastic for dogs with cancer????

Do you feed your dogs broccoli?

As some of you may know, Zeke got diagnosed with cancer this week, I am trying so hard to feed him a fantastic natural diet, high in protein and fat, lower in carbohydrates. Filtered water, not an ounce of anything bad passing his lips! Poor lad is losing weight already despite eating more than ever this week, his appetite is starting to fluctuate however and he was sick earlier. He's fussy with veg, but loves broccoli however I had stopped giving them it (along with sweetcorn) after reading somewhere it was dangerous!?

Help
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I dont really feed my dogs any veg so I cant help there

I have heard of studies on HUMANS staying broccoli sprouts (not the stalks the shoots when they have just germinated) can be good for cancer

I know you are worried, sorry I cant be of more help
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
There is a Yahoo group called Dog Read that you can join. They choose a book each month and the author answers people's questions. The book discussed last month was Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet by Steve Brown. There is lots of information on healthy diets and yes he does recommend broccoli as having 'the most proven anti-cancer fighting properties'.

Have a look. I'm sure you'll find it very useful
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
There is a Yahoo group called Dog Read that you can join. They choose a book each month and the author answers people's questions. The book discussed last month was Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet by Steve Brown. There is lots of information on healthy diets and yes he does recommend broccoli as having 'the most proven anti-cancer fighting properties'.

Have a look. I'm sure you'll find it very useful
Brilliant, thank you, will do
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Dog nutrition is quite different from human. Although dogs are omnivores, they don't digest vegetables near as well as we do. A dog will get little value out of raw broccoli and highly cooked, it will lose many of its nutrients.

Be careful of books. Remember authors make money from them. Fill a book with sensationalized things that sound good to some people, and the money flows in.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi Lucie brocolli is fine. I grow my own and chop then liquidise it for Chloe before adding it to her raw meat .
Darlings have broccoli in their raw diets..

Free range chicken
Whole raw minced chicken and finely ground bones (66%). Grated carrot, turnip, broccoli and other seasonal vegetables (33%). Mineral and vitamin supplements (less than 1%).

Prime beef
Prime minced beef (22%). Minced ox heart (11%). Finely ground calf bone (33%). Grated carrot, turnip, broccoli and other seasonal vegetables (33%). Mineral and vitamin supplements (less than 1%).

Tender Lamb
Tender minced lamb breast (22%). Minced lamb heart (11%). Minced chicken complete with finely ground bone (33%). Grated carrot, turnip, broccoli and other seasonal vegetables (33%). Mineral and vitamin supplements (less than 1%).
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Broccoli is fine for dogs as an occasional additive.

However, it is worth noting that all the cruciferous vegetables have the potential to suppress the thyroid function in dogs.

For this reason they should be fed occasionally, but probably not on a daily basis.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
mine love it, along with any other veg.

dogs can actually be veggie unlike cats =)
ATD x