Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2005, 11:24 PM

Mum Favouring One Puppy

Hey,

As im sure a lot of you know by now i have three labs - Chloe (mum) and Riley and Megan (her puppies). Chloe was a really good mum, she made sure all of her pups were clean, well fed and happy and she obviously really loved them!

Over the last few weeks though, we've noticed that Chloe seems to favour Riley over Megan, to the point of literally walking over Megan to get to Riley (to play or clean his ears, she loves ears!lol) and she wont play with Meg and doesn't really like Meg being around her. She'll sometimes walk off if Meg comes over to play with her.

Chloe is still a really good mum. She's never shown any signs of aggression towards Meg or Riley, and she still makes sure they're clean and if she's eating something and they walk over she automatically steps away to let them eat it, whether its Megan or Riley.

So... Is it normal for a Mum to favour one puppy the way Chloe does? Is it something we should be worried about or is it normal and she'll be fine. I'll be taking Riley when i leave home, so Meg and Chloe will be living with my mum and im a bit worried that this may cause problems in the future... Should i be?!
Josefine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi!
How old are the puppies?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I was about to ask the same, if they are young pups get Megan checked out by a vet, this is sometimes a bitches way of telling you something isn't right with the pup.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 07:06 PM
My bitch did favour one out of the six, she was constantly licking him and nuzzling him, there was nothing wrong with any of them but she did love that little guy,, as there are only two pups by the sounds of it, as previously stated having the pup checked out may be prudent, just in case.

Mo
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 08:32 PM
The puppies are 5 months old today. Im fairly sure there's nothing wrong with Meg, she went to the vet for a check up a couple of weeks ago i think, but i'll see if i can take her back just in case
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Bitches can favour some puppies over others, but maybe it might be to do with meg nearly coming to age when her first season will come?
Im not sure, dogs do have favourites just like we do i wouldnt worry