Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
i believe the methods should be appropriate to the dog, in this case the alpha role was appropriate.

positive reinforcement does have its place also, i use it for my dog, so its not all bad.

I see we may be at college in the same place LOL.

I really don't agree the alpha roll was necessary at all, it is never a good idea IMHO, and can be dangerous for the owner apart from anything else; however we can agree to disagree if you like
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Amie
Whats going to happen when people start to do this to there Dogs ,get it wrong get Bitten.And then take the Dogs to Vets to be PTS.
Yes, I know of dogs treated like this who have needed very special care who are now, just about, regaining their trust in humans and have been saved from pts ...
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Whats going to happen when people start to do this to there Dogs ,get it wrong get Bitten.And then take the Dogs to Vets to be PTS.
Why all of a sudden should people start using this method Just cause they saw some chap do it on the telly?

Obviously people have their own methods of controlling their dogs which must work as you don't go in the local park and see people pinning dogs down, well I don't anyway

This was an extreme case, the dog had bitten and was out of control so needed quick handling to control the situation, which in my opinion worked with no harm done.

But what if the dog decided to obey the trainer but wanted to get more aggressive with others?
But he didn't he was a reformed character as we saw by the end of the show
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
I see we may be at college in the same place LOL.

I really don't agree the alpha roll was necessary at all, it is never a good idea IMHO, and can be dangerous for the owner apart from anything else; however we can agree to disagree if you like

are we ?

hmm, have to say hello if we are

we cna gree to disagree.lol

i jsut think in this isntnace it worked and thus the jsutification is there.lol

it cna be dangerous hence its use should be that i nextreme cases and by someone who knos what they are doing, knows the outcoems nad how to dela with any possible outcomes also i.e. if it didnt work.

perosnally iwouldnt try it as ihave no idea what iwould do if it didnt sumbit and i dont think i owuld be confident enough to try it anyway.

just hope other people feel like that and dont amke a stupid mistake :S
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:07 PM
First of all - I've just watched yesterday episode - and I didn't see the Weim gasping when it got up.

Secondly - I think Mic did the right think. The dog had got away with biting for too long - saying no, telling it to sit down, pushing it away etc did nothing, as the dog was too worked up - SOMETHING had to be done.
Also - like Mic has mentioned before - not everything that is filmed is shown!

With regards to the Goldie - I admit, I laughed when it was being dragged along! I wouldn't want to walk with them either - they didn't exactly make the walk exciting lol

I do agree on the woman trainer - in every episode she always seems to be yanking dogs heads.
You can distract dogs in other ways - food/speaking/toys etc
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff
Why all of a sudden should people start using this method Just cause they saw some chap do it on the telly?

Obviously people have their own methods of controlling their dogs which must work as you don't go in the local park and see people pinning dogs down, well I don't anyway

This was an extreme case, the dog had bitten and was out of control so needed quick handling to control the situation, which in my opinion worked with no harm done.

But he didn't he was a reformed character as we saw by the end of the show

Because people see it on Tv looks easy,so try it

No Harm done this time!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Because people see it on Tv looks easy,so try it

No Harm done this time!

The thing is - there is a lot of things on TV that people see and are dumb enough to try - not just related to dogs!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree but this is a Dog forum so thats why we are talking about it .
Thats also why I think its important that these programmes make it VERY VERY Clear that nobody should try to do what Mic Done.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I agree but this is a Dog forum so thats why we are talking about it .
Thats also why I think its important that these programmes make it VERY VERY Clear that nobody should try to do what Mic Done.

I know - but I was just pointing out there are a lot of things on TV that people will try!

I agree there does need to be another disclaimer!
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 03:35 PM
My daughter and I regularly watch the show and have to say that in no way did you come across as being a homophobic bully.
When we first get to see the dogs and their behaviour and the way the owners behave or react to the situation then your no-nonsence approach is like a breath of fresh air.
You wouldnt believe how many times we see dogs behave like the ones you deal with and it is generally down to bad ownership and lack of training. Sometimes a short sharp shock from someone who really knows his stuff is what is needed for the owners to face the reality.
Keep up the great work Mic.
Elaine
ps. My daughter is shouting hiya Mic (whilst doing the sit and down with our two dogs lol)
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »