Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
buster123
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2011, 02:43 PM

False pregnancy - mini dachs

I have a two year old miniature dachshund she has had two seasons but is now having a false pregnancy and also carrying around a rubber bone as her baby dont know if I should let her just carry on with it, she isnt eating either. Anyone had experience of this?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I`ve had 2 bitches who suffered false pregnancy. One went to term, nesting etc., then went back to normal, the other wasn`t so bad physically but got very `guardy` over her toy.
The only cure really is to get them spayed. Once they have had a false pregnancy I understand they are more likely to have another.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I would let her have her toys as it is giving her comfort. I would certainly consider spaying when she is over this phantom to avoid the possibility of her contracting pyometra.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by buster123 View Post
I have a two year old miniature dachshund she has had two seasons but is now having a false pregnancy and also carrying around a rubber bone as her baby dont know if I should let her just carry on with it, she isnt eating either. Anyone had experience of this?
Hi, I've had bitches who've phantomed in the past (Claire is right the only "cure" is to spay them). However, to get her over this as good practice says you don't spay them till they are midway between seasons I would:

Remove all toys and other items that she can use as surrogate puppies
Up her exercise levels
Up her mental stimulation - increase training, hide and seek gams, anything that she has to think about
I would say usually reduce her food - but as she's not eating I think in this case i would not pander to her - she gets her normal meals which are then removed 10 minutes later with nothing in between.

She's probably going to be grumpy and a bit unpredicatable for a few days as her hormones are going to be all over the place. If she is producing milk then she may need a trip to the vets for galastop.

Keep a close eye on her for infection - bitches that phantom frequently and badly tend to be more prone to pyometra which can be fatal.
buster123
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Thank you for your replies just felt a bit desperate she is so sad we going to let her have some puppies when she has next season so after that will be getting her spayed.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Can I ask why you are " just going to let her have a litter " next season?

There is no medical reason for a bitch to have a litter at all, and a bitch that phantoms shows that all is not perfect hormonally.

Bitches that phantom are not only more prone to pyometra but also to cystic ovarys and other problems that may prevent pregnancy, or may result in difficult births.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Great posts from Kate.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:25 PM
We have a bitch that has tendancies to have false pregnancies.

I have been using CSJ Stroppy bitch herbs and I can whole heartedly say it has been fantastic. she has 2 scoops in her food and within 2 weeks she was back to normal. I now just give her a scoop everyday as she is heading for another season and she has been much better.

Its awful to see you girly so sad and depressed so I hope she gets back to normal soon.
buster123
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi thanks for reply where do I get stroppy bitch herbs from, she is still so attached to her 'baby' .
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:51 AM
You can get it from CSJ they are very quick to send it out where abouts in Suffolk are you, we could be neighbours
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >