View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cuttiekass
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2013, 06:55 PM

How can I stop my 7 year old from soiling in the house. Please help.....

I have a brittany who is 7 years(we think) we got him 1year and 9 month ago and a 9 month old lab/shepard/dane we got him when he was 7 weeks old. My brittany copper has started soiling in the house, my lab rex bugs him outside and tries to get him to play but he wants nothing to do with it, so I started letting copper outside first by himself, which was working until the last week, he will pee outside but not very often now. He wont alleviate himself on walks, and so I started crating him when I left but now he has started going in there as well. He has no health issues.I don't know what else to do with him, I let him out about every hour, so he is going out lots. I leave him out there for quite a while before I let rex out. Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated thanks.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by cuttiekass View Post
I have a brittany who is 7 years(we think) we got him 1year and 9 month ago and a 9 month old lab/shepard/dane we got him when he was 7 weeks old. My brittany copper has started soiling in the house, my lab rex bugs him outside and tries to get him to play but he wants nothing to do with it, so I started letting copper outside first by himself, which was working until the last week, he will pee outside but not very often now. He wont alleviate himself on walks, and so I started crating him when I left but now he has started going in there as well. He has no health issues.I don't know what else to do with him, I let him out about every hour, so he is going out lots. I leave him out there for quite a while before I let rex out. Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated thanks.
I can't really be a lot of help but one thing did occur. When you say he won't 'go' on walks. How far or for how long are you walking him?

Just that when I was toilet training mine to go 'outside' and that's really outside I don't have a yard - I just kept walking the boogers 'til they DID go!

My dog is now so reliable and predictable she goes in almost the same exact spot every day at the same time. However there are times (like today for instance) that her body language was saying to me that she wanted to 'go' again. I just kept walking and sure enough she did eventually go again.

As I've not had this exact problem with any dog I can't know for sure but feel that if you stay out long enough and keep going they MUST go at some time! Then of course COPIOUS PRAISE for them doing so.
cuttiekass
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:05 PM
He goes for over an hours walk, when hes outside he has his hunter mode on, he used to be a runner before we got him and the humane society was picking him up every week, we have a big fenced in back yard, he pees outside but then will also pee inside as well even if we are only gone for 10 mins.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
He goes for over an hours walk, when hes outside he has his hunter mode on, he used to be a runner before we got him and the humane society was picking him up every week, we have a big fenced in back yard, he pees outside but then will also pee inside as well even if we are only gone for 10 mins.
One thing I'm almost sure of is that if any pet gets 'used to' going indoors they will continue to do so.

I don't know what's the recommended but I walk a tiny Minpin for that long - avg 1 hr or 2kms.

I used to walk my bigger dogs much further and keep them out longer than that. I'm not saying you have to but am thinking about if you want them to do their 'business' outside. I had a GSD who would not poop out on walks. She'd pee for Britain. But only ever pooped in the back garden, in the same spot, right down the bottom. I have no idea why this was. But she never did it in the house.

That's the main walk. I then take Bella out twice more at least for her to pee. Little dogs only poop once a day usually. She goes out early in the morning for the main walk. Then again at about 2 or 3pm and then for the last one at about 9pm approx. just to pee. She is OK after that until the following morning.

On the rare occasions she needs to go out more often she takes herself to the door and looks expectantly or if I don't notice that - barks at me.

Does your dog have easy and quick access to get outside? I don't mean free reign to do so (that can be counterproductive if, for instance, a door is always open, they can end up not differentiating between in and out) I mean is it a hassle for her to get to go out?

Actually you can 'scratch' most of what I've said as I've just realised the dog is 7yrs old and only just started doing this? Total check over by a vet first to rule out any medical condition would be my advice in that case.

And good think about whether the other dog is affecting them.
cuttiekass
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
sometimes he will flat out refuse to even get off the couch to go outside and I have to force him, and like i said he goes out every 1-3 hours and he usually does pee everytime then will also go inside or in his crate if we leave. He has never ever done this before.
cuttiekass
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:19 PM
im wondering if its stress from the puppy, but we have had the puppy for 8 months now and it only started last week
cuttiekass
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:35 PM
We are definitely going to get him checked by a vet, we think hes 7 he could be older, but the weird thing i just realized is that he isnt drinking a whole lot but is peeing alot.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:59 PM
We are definitely going to get him checked by a vet, we think hes 7 he could be older, but the weird thing i just realized is that he isnt drinking a whole lot but is peeing alot.
Yes definitely get the vet check done cuttie. No point in you continuing to stress yourself out about this trying to wonder what could be causing it. I do hope it's nothing serious. I can tell how worried you are. I'd be the same. I can give 'calm and logical' advice to others but, if anything is wrong with MY dawg I am a quivering wreck! I also think there is an element of you not wanting to 'think the worst' and hoping that others will tell you something to alleviate your worries.

But of course no one can give proper advice just reading about symptoms on a forum in cyberspace. Good luck and let us know how you get on.