View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I agree with most of the comments on here. I'm not experienced with dogs but i think with common sense, it's not that hard to figure out what your dog likes and dislikes. I was on an American forum recently, reading through comments and i was surprised to read that the vast majority of posters advocated crating dogs whilst they were out for up to 7 HOURS A DAY!! I was surprised. How can you confine an animal such as a dog for so long?? I think it's cruel if you're caging the dog for hours on end, frequently.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by Tee
I was on an American forum recently, reading through comments and i was surprised to read that the vast majority of posters advocated crating dogs whilst they were out for up to 7 HOURS A DAY!!
Sadly this isn't just an American dog-owners trait. It happens here too. I know as someone who I used to work with, who really considered herself a dog-lover, and by all accounts she was, used to "crate" (sounds so much better than 'forcefully cage up' doesn't it) her dog whilst at work.

I doubt for one second that she was the only one practising it. I think that's a large part of the issue I have with them -- they're just too easily seen as a quick almost fool-proof method of convincing yourself that you have a well-behaved dog. When what you actually may have is a poorly behaved dog that just can't physically exercise its own free-will.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:28 AM
When the use of a crate was first suggested to me I didn't like the idea at all. I thought 'caging' a dog was cruel and mean and barbaric. I gave it a try though and it turned out the pup loved it and I had to gradually phase it out of his life in the end.
The current pup never really took to it properly, he would go into sleep sometimes but it wasn't his favourite place so we took it away from him earlier than with the others.
The crates/cages are a useful tool they have been invaluable for us with night time house training and give the pup a place to go for some peace in rather a busy household.
I totally understand why people think their use is awful, but if they are used correctly the crates are no different to a rather large dog bed, you train your dog to go on it's bed, this is really the same thing.
As for leaving them in it for long periods of time, can't say I agree, but every dog is different and so I wouldn't wish to comment on every case.
A hand is a useful training aid, it strokes, it gives food etc. It is also an instrument of torture if used incorrectly, just like all training aids.
I do take issue with the use of crates being compared to an electric shock collar however, there is no purposeful pain given in a crate...
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:21 AM
We had a crate when Bodhi was a small puppy, and it was VERY useful. Helped with housetraining, and keeping her safe - ie in the kitchen when I was cooking alone etc.

It is now in the garage, as she is coming up to one year, and I rely on commands, and her training to control her.

If I need to confine her, the kitchen is used.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-08-2006, 10:10 AM
A crate should never be used as a place of punishment for misbehaviour and a dog should never be left in a crate for hours on end. It is not a substitute for training and if you train your dog properly he should never be a nuisance or destructive. A crate will simply be another convenient aid to training, and your dog’s private quarters. It should be remembered that the purpose of a crate is a way to contain your dog only when you cannot watch him, not when you cannot be bothered or simply do not feel like watching him.
From this Dogsey article: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover
Sadly this isn't just an American dog-owners trait. It happens here too. I know as someone who I used to work with, who really considered herself a dog-lover, and by all accounts she was, used to "crate" (sounds so much better than 'forcefully cage up' doesn't it) her dog whilst at work.

I doubt for one second that she was the only one practising it. I think that's a large part of the issue I have with them -- they're just too easily seen as a quick almost fool-proof method of convincing yourself that you have a well-behaved dog. When what you actually may have is a poorly behaved dog that just can't physically exercise its own free-will.
I can understand that. I really don't see the point of crating a dog for a prolonged amount of time - that would indicate to me that a dog doesn't really fit in with a person's lifestyle.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 11:17 AM
i use a crate when I go out for my two youngsters as they both chew. I think its safer than leaving them and risking injury.
all my dogs are crate trained as puppies as I find it easier to house train this way, and rather than it being traumatic for them, they seem to like to go somewhere quiet sometimes and go in during the day to sleep with the door opened.
My oldest has never been crated as he hated it but he also sometimes goes into an open crate during the day for a bit of peace and quiet.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I must say that I was expecting more of a reaction from "The Craters". Therefore it seems to me that [I]either[I] very few people on this site misuse them, in which case I am delighted, [I]or[I] those that do are unwilling to be identified.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Ive recently been a member of a couple of Dog sites from the US and crating for long periods of time seems to be much more prevelent over there..it appears that many UK members use crates more sensibly and many have found alternatives like puppy pens and confining to one room.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I guess I'm a "crater". We got a wire cage for Max when he was little...

The crate was his bed/safe space and the only time he was locked in was at night. He was toilet trained within a week and only ever "went" in his crate once or twice. When he was tired, he would often take himself off into it, just as he takes himself off to his cushion now.

We now use the crate for car journeys so he is safe.

When we needed to leave him alone he was put in the garage (light and well ventilated) with his open crate, food, water and toys. This was because the house we were in at the time was open plan, so it was very hard to confine him to one room.

Now we have a wooden kennel and run in the garden for when we are at work, so he is outside and can play/exercise as he wants.

I'd say a crate is a good training tool, and can be helpful when you have a young inquistive pup who like to stick their head in the oven (luckily Max did this once and once only )

Crating a dog all day in such a confined space isn't really correct and isn't really "training" it
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »