Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum
i dont want to put a damper on your enthusiasum but dont expect the gentle bit for a very loooooooong time.H is 2 now and still a leaping loon at times and very very nosey, he's like a kid who wants to know what is going on at all times. nose in everything.
and loyalty comes with age too, mine nearly eloped with another dog not so long ago.
when he eventually grows up he might be all the things that breeders quote, but he's not quite there yet!!

WHAT !!!
Only joking. I've been told all that too. It will just add the the mental asylum that is my home
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I have a labrador ... because when we first chose our family dog a Lab ticked all the boxes - I still love them abd will have more

I have a BC - gift from a friend he joined my crew in competing in obedience and agility and he loves it

2 Alaskan malamutes - wanted a breed GSD like but were wary of another shepherd because of suffering many years of health issues with others ... they are fabulous dogs and I will have many more I am sure as they love competing on obedience and doing agility and we enjoy running them in harness- we bought one and the second was a gift

Also got a Border Terrier - she's my sisters and she is in New Zealand till October so we have had her for the last 4 months Would I have another? Oh yes she exhasusts all the others - she is their personal trainer!!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I have a GSD, and my past two consecutive dogs have been GSDs, though one of them was crossed with a Rottie. (Oddly, despite the ill-found but often repeated reputation of both these breeds, he really was the dog that I now benchmark all my dogs against. You just couldn't have ever asked for a better dog, all round.)

For me, GSDs are just everything you could ever want in a dog. They're confident enough to take on new challenges as and when, intelligent enough to absorb the challenges and just keep on repeating them, making training deceptively easy at times. Absolutely loyal to their owner(s), whilst at the same time, they rarely feel the need to shower them with attention each minute of the day. Then they have the energy to play until the moon rises, and will still keep on going if you have the energy to keep up.

You've got a guard dog, a playmate, a damn good friend, and sometimes, a big baby, all on tap and in one handy four-legged portable device! Love 'em to death...
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi,
Well my oldest friend of 35 years had a staffie when she was a kid,we always used to play with him,he was so friendly very playful and loyal.From then on i always wanted a staffie,so when hubby and me got together and had our first house we got a beautiful red bitch called Tess,that was it totally hooked on this breed.
I just love the way they are very kid, people friendly,always ready for lots of cuddles and a great big slobbery kiss.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I was brought up around BCs but fell in love with giant breeds aged 3 at my first encounter with a Pyrenean Mountain Dog! Newfoundlands stole my heart a few years later (while watching Crufts) and that was it...I knew when I was in a position to have my own dog it would be a Newf.

I knew they would suit me as they are a smart, easy going, loyal breed (with a stubborn streak a mile wide!!) and that kind of sums me up pretty well Thankfully, OH came around to my way of thinking...I can be very persuasive Lola is our first Newfie but plans are already in place for our second in a couple of years time. We need a bigger house first!!!

Shay (Chow X Rottie) came about simply because he desperately needed a new home. I was always a great admirer of both breeds but wouldn't have thought either suitable for me but he is just fantastic (despite his crap start in life) and I wouldn't change him for the world
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wheaten mad
Well we have wheatens because we loved the terrier temprement, they dont moult, they dont slobber lol, they are not too big or too small, they love children and get on really well with other dogs, they are clever but they are also naughty and cheeky and totally mad! So they fit in really well with out house! lol

sarah xxxx
How could you leave my beloved godpup norman out?!?!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
It all started when I was about 3! I hadn't seen the film, neither had my friends and I don't know how I found out about dalmatians but I have to say it was all cosmetic at first!
I loved the way they went from podgy, cuddly bundle of spots to beautiful, elegant dogs.

When asked what our favourite animal was at school other children would reply 'horse' or 'cat' etc. but I always said 'dalmatian' - no, not dog! dalmatian!

I asked for a dalmatian puppy every single Christmas and birthday from the age of 4 until last year but Santa was mean!

At the age of 7 I started reading about them properly and discovered the lunatics for what they really were. I had been collecting dalmatian ornaments, posters, towels, teddies etc for a couple of years by this time and I was besotted!

The thing I love about the breed is their nuttiness and their ability to have fun. Their little quirks like their smiles and the way they look at you for food.
Their ability to go out and get totally covered in mud and yet by the time you've walked home, they're clean again!

Their intelligence also inspires me and I have to say one of my main reasons for really wanting a dal was to prove to people that they're not thick.
Their readiness to learn and their enthusiasm is something you just can't take away from them and they love to work.

Best of all - their ability to sense how you're feeling and always cheer you up. They're total clowns!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Hollie is a staff' cross - we heard about a litter that had been dumped, we went to look and came home with Hollie.

That's it!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Have leonbergers because went to Libary to Find a Book on Newfoundlands,but they didnt have one,but did have one on Leo's.

Still going to get a Newfie one Day,but along side the leos

Also have two cross breeds because they dont need to got to the Vets as much as pure breds
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I like the giant breeds too,and that is why I have decided on the Bernese Mountain Dog,have admired them for a couple of years now also like the Newfies,and when Zanta was the born newfiexberner thought I had my dream dog but unfortunatley it wasn't to be and we did not see eye to eye she is happily rehomed by her breeder now though.But will be getting my Berner boy in August,they are laid back as they get older,needs loads of grooming can trek for miles when older at a gentle pace suits me fine and aren't known for being overly intelligent love fuss and cuddles and don't drool.For me my ideal dog.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >