View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I would love to crate Tommy but he is so frantic and cries all night. He doesn't stop, it goes on all night for weeks on end which is why we abandoned the crate a few months ago. Nobody in the house could sleep. I have bought some spray and so far he hasn't eaten anything else.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-12-2014, 04:35 PM
What type of crate do you have? If it's a wire one he may feel more comfortable in a plastic one (more cave-like).
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2014, 10:34 PM
He has a metal crate which we covered over at night, but he pulled the covers through and ate them! He chews on plastic, we bought him a plastic bed and put blankets in and nibbled the sides of it. I can't let him have a stuffed bed, because he rips the stuffing out and eats it. He seems to leave a trail of destruction, whether its toys, beds or furniture! I will look around for a more suitable crate. If anybody has any ideas that would be great. It needs to be Tommy proof.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Is this the type of plastic one you've used?

or have you tried one of these? Maybe if the cover is taught enough, he can't pull the material into the crate.

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Dogs chew it's what they do, some never grow out of it. You could leave him with things he can chew such as a big kong, recreational bones etc. I found putting vicks vapour rub on furniture corners etc stopped any chewing of that item immediately. As for the crate you need to get him used to it gradually either by having it in your room or you sleeping wherever he does. That way you can talk to him gently as soon as he starts to get agitated.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Vick never worked for my dog. I still think it maybe the food giving him to much energy if he isn't using up enough of the energy being fed to him by high protein food. What are you feeding him? Complete dry, moist food or natural food eg: raw food? Remember exercise alone is not enough, dogs are more tired if they use their brain.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2014, 07:39 PM
We have tried most of the high protein kibble on the market, as this is what Charlie our basset has. Tommy was either sick or had the runs. The only food that agrees with him is bakers. I know it isn't the best thing I could give him, but it doesn't make him ill. He loves the adult food we buy Charlie and seems to be able to tolerate that. It is salmon and potato and grain free, could I let him have this a 7 months or not. It would be great of both dogs were on the same food. It consists of 36% salmon, 26% potato with chicken fat and salmon oil? We need to control Tommys weight, because of the hip dysplasia.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Most of the time adult and puppy food is a gimmick. I would give it to him.

I just thought of something, do you have a bathroom where you can have him while you're not around?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2