Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Suspected bone cancer

I came down in the morning about 2 weeks ago to find Syd with a lump on his front left leg and a bit of a limp. I assumed he'd sprained it while doing his usual charging about out on our walk the day before. I tried to get him to rest but unlike previous sprains when he's been very reluctant to put any weight on it, this time although limping while walking he's quite happily running around on it. After a week of no sign of improvement I had a much closer inspection of the lump which has continued to increase in size. It's not on the joint it is just above it and feels solid and hard, it doesn't feel like tissue damage it feels like bone. I took him to the vet on Monday told him of my suspicion that it was bone cancer and after a lengthy and thorough examination he agrees and is 95 per cent certain but only xrays or a bone biopsy will confirm it. We're going in for a GA and x rays on Friday at 11am. I am staying with him as we will look at the xrays while he is under GA and if bone cancer is confirmed, the vet has agreed not to wake him up. This is probably the hardest decision I have ever had to make as apart from the lump which is now about the size of a tennis ball, you would never know there was anything wrong with him. He is full of life and enthusiasm for everything but that doesn't alter the fact that there is no hope of cure. I won't entertain the idea of amputation or chemo as by the time the lump is visible the cancer has already spread. His very limited future would be full of increasing levels of pain and the chance that the bone would just snap leaving him in agony and distress and with the way he's still leaping about that is a very real possibility. Of course I've questioned my decision, had second thoughts etc. but my head has to rule my heart here and I have always been a better a week too soon than a day too late kind of person although on this occasion it may well be better a month too soon than a second too late I am thinking solely of Syd and have to put my broken heart aside. I love this dog more than words can say, I have had a wonderful eight years with him, and can't allow him to suffer just because I want to keep him forever.
My beautiful boy
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh Shirley I am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful Syd and pray that the Xrays do not show bone cancer - but I applaud your unselfish decision to let him go in his sleep if it is so.

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow.

(((hugs))) to both you and Syd. xxx
Carole
Supervisor

20-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Will have everything crossed for Syd tomorrow xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Poor Syd
Devasting situation to be in but as you say thoughts for him have to come first.If it does come back bad news,is there a possibility to have the leg removed?I'm sorry if that seems insensitive but if its an option, might be worth considering.Dogs manage really well on three legs and he does sounds healthy otherwise.Really hope tomorrow goes well for you(((hugs)))
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Poor Syd
Devasting situation to be in but as you say thoughts for him have to come first.If it does come back bad news,is there a possibility to have the leg removed?I'm sorry if that seems insensitive but if its an option, might be worth considering.Dogs manage really well on three legs and he does sounds healthy otherwise.Really hope tomorrow goes well for you(((hugs)))
Amputation was discussed and it might buy him a couple of months. It's his front leg, the weight bearing legs and Syd is a big boy at 46kgs. I know lots of dogs cope well with amputation but I really think he would be as miserable as hell. The cancer although he has no symptoms apart from the swollen leg would have already spread. Even amputation combined with chemo would only buy him around 9 months maximum. No I don't think you're being insensitive at all, I'm sure others in the same situation would cling on to any hope of extending life. I can't do that. I don't expect everyone to understand or empathise. We all have to do what we believe is best.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Oh Shirley I am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful Syd and pray that the Xrays do not show bone cancer - but I applaud your unselfish decision to let him go in his sleep if it is so.

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow.

(((hugs))) to both you and Syd. xxx
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Will have everything crossed for Syd tomorrow xx

Thank you both.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm just so sorry to read this. It's obvious you love this beautiful dog very much and you are the only and best person to make the right decision for him.

So sorry.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Amputation was discussed and it might buy him a couple of months. It's his front leg, the weight bearing legs and Syd is a big boy at 46kgs. I know lots of dogs cope well with amputation but I really think he would be as miserable as hell. The cancer although he has no symptoms apart from the swollen leg would have already spread. Even amputation combined with chemo would only buy him around 9 months maximuum. No I don't think you're being insensitive at all, I'm sure others in the same situation would cling on to any hope of extending life. I can't do that. I don't expect everyone to understand or empathise. We all have to do what we believe is best.
From my point of view I think you are doing the right thing, I agree 100% with your thinking, and as you will probably know, this is something we went through with Bandit.

If it helps, and the same thing happened again, I would do as you may have to. Not wake him up from the anaesthetic, watching them go trough this terrible cancer is not nice. Their is only one outcome a given the nature of the cancer, is usually very aggressive and painful.

Like you amputation was not an option I considered, and as you say mostly only buys them a few mths if that..

Hopefully the X-rays are negative, my prayers are with you all.

Such sad sad news xxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Amputation was discussed and it might buy him a couple of months. It's his front leg, the weight bearing legs and Syd is a big boy at 46kgs. I know lots of dogs cope well with amputation but I really think he would be as miserable as hell. The cancer although he has no symptoms apart from the swollen leg would have already spread. Even amputation combined with chemo would only buy him around 9 months maximum. No I don't think you're being insensitive at all, I'm sure others in the same situation would cling on to any hope of extending life. I can't do that. I don't expect everyone to understand or empathise. We all have to do what we believe is best.
I do understand,think if I was in your situation I'd be thinking like you ((( hugs))
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
From my point of view I think you are doing the right thing, I agree 100% with your thinking, and as you will probably know, this is something we went through with Bandit.

If it helps, and the same thing happened again, I would do as you may have to. Not wake him up from the anaesthetic, watching them go trough this terrible cancer is not nice. Their is only one outcome a given the nature of the cancer, is usually very aggressive and painful.

Like you amputation was not an option I considered, and as you say mostly only buys them a few mths if that..

Hopefully the X-rays are negative, my prayers are with you all.

Such sad sad news xxx

Thank you Jackie, I knew you'd understand. It's just so hard to reconcile brain and heart when he appears to be as fit as a flea.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »