View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
In principle I don't agree. BSL is just bad news and we would be immediately that much better off without it.

In practice I suspect you are right. As a public safety measure it would be politically impossible to repeal without having something to put in its place.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I would like to point out the stupidity and sheer irresponsibility of the media when reporting dog attacks.

All we get from these media cretins is "Dog savages child in park" etc. What they do not say is that this precious little "child" was beating the dog with a stick or otherwise ill-treating it.

If a child beat me with a stick - do you know what I would do regardless of age difference ? Well I would hit it so hard it would land in a heap 20 yeards away. And so why is the dog wrong ? Do our children have a license to kill ? I sincerely hope not, because they had better not practice that license near me.

John Bull
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
i agree with the ownership license and testing etc.

but i think it is definitely it is deed not breed, pits are no more likely to attack a person, than any other breed.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
A kind of twitter really from a guy who lost count of the number of bans which govern our daily lives decades ago.

What do you all think of our paranoia about Dangerous Dogs ?

The UK Government in it`s superior wisdom in all things important brought in a new law in 1991 called "The Dangerous Dogs Act". Hounds of the Baskervilles being out and Lassie plus all dogs on Blue Peter being in.

They were going to classify all dogs bigger than a Chihuahua as a threat to our entire population, but compromised for fear that a civil war may break out and settled for the following ;-

Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:
* the Pit Bull Terrier
* the Japanese tosa
* the Dogo Argentino
* the Fila Brasileiro

I do not know the last 3 breeds, but I do know the Pit Bull - a lovely dog, but not to the stalwarts in charge of our health and welfare.

You really would not want to meet one of these

The Pit Bull was considered by the UK Government as a bigger threat to our nation than that made by Adolf Hitler in 1940, when he intended to challenge the might of the Royal Navy by invading our Great Island in an armada of wooden paddle boats from occupied Holland

Was that in the SUN (or should I said the Beano) utter rubbish

So, here in this proud nation, the epitome of world leadership and all things good, the lovely Pit Bull is now banned. Recruitment for the Postal Service went up by 50% in 1992.

[COLOR="Red"]I'm glad they are.[/COLOR]

In the USA, Pit Bulls are as common as mongrels. Cesar Millan - The Dog Whisperer loves them, his favourite side kick Daddy is soon to retire from active service on the film set due to old age.

I think the man is a fool and one day one of his own dogs will bit him and it will serve him right

Not going to break any records with this one, but have any of you got a comment to make on the subject and especially Pit Bull`s ?
John Bull

johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
The Dogo and Fila aren't even bred for fighting.

The Dogo Argentino was created by two brothers, one a professor of genetics, the other a lawyer. The former, Dr. Antonio Nores Martínez, blended a number of breeds in the pursuit of a hunting mastiff used on formidable quarry such as wild boar, jaguar and puma. He created a hunting breed; he was not seeking, nor was he breeding, fighting dogs. He was a highly re-spected, law-abiding academic, and his breed is now the national breed of Argentina.

Similarly, the Fila Brasileiro was bred to hunt jaguar and round up recalcitrant bulls for ranchers, not for fighting. The breed was known in some parts of Brazil as onceiro or jaguar hunter. It was never intended to be a fighting dog, was never bred to be one and I can find no record of the breed’s use in such a way. Its temperament is prized as a breed feature; this breed has probably undergone more temperament tests than any other as a direct result. It is the national dog breed of Brazil.
http://www.dogsincanada.com/caught-i...-act-revisited
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
I'm glad they are
Do you feel safer?
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Do you feel safer?
Well at least I don't have to worry about walking into one when I'm out or with my dog in the park.

But then there is still enough bull breeds about at are still a bit of a problem.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
A kind of twitter really from a guy who lost count of the number of bans which govern our daily lives decades ago.

What do you all think of our paranoia about Dangerous Dogs ?

A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog, so I dont get the paranoia you are talking about

The UK Government in it`s superior wisdom in all things important brought in a new law in 1991 called "The Dangerous Dogs Act". Hounds of the Baskervilles being out and Lassie plus all dogs on Blue Peter being in.

They were going to classify all dogs bigger than a Chihuahua as a threat to our entire population, but compromised for fear that a civil war may break out and settled for the following ;-

Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:
* the Pit Bull Terrier
* the Japanese tosa
* the Dogo Argentino
* the Fila Brasileiro

And you have met, and can vouch for all these breeds can you.

I do not know the last 3 breeds, but I do know the Pit Bull - a lovely dog, but not to the stalwarts in charge of our health and welfare.

They may be where they are legally bred, but here in the UK we dont have that privileged of breeding for their lovely temperaments..

The Pit and type that are bred here are bred for one reason only, and they are not to for the family pet market

The Pit Bull was considered by the UK Government as a bigger threat to our nation than that made by Adolf Hitler in 1940, when he intended to challenge the might of the Royal Navy by invading our Great Island in an armada of wooden paddle boats from occupied Holland.

What absolute rot if you are going to be controversial, at least use something that is not so laughable

So, here in this proud nation, the epitome of world leadership and all things good, the lovely Pit Bull is now banned. Recruitment for the Postal Service went up by 50% in 1992.

In the USA, Pit Bulls are as common as mongrels. Cesar Millan - The Dog Whisperer loves them, his favourite side kick Daddy is soon to retire from active service on the film set due to old age.

But we are not in the USA are we, and are living in a country where they are banned!!

Regardless of what CM thinks of them.

Not going to break any records with this one, but have any of you got a comment to make on the subject and especially Pit Bull`s ?
John Bull
The law may not be working, but that does not mean we should just abandon it, while people are breeding dogs for the fighting ring, the law must stand, and be ENFORCED, but as always its the dogs that suffer for the abuse of the owner.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Well at least I don't have to worry about walking into one when I'm out or with my dog in the park.

But then there is still enough bull breeds about at are still a bit of a problem.
Along with all other type pf dogs, be them pedigree or not.

But then they have NOT been bred purely for their fighting abilities.. the fact many are owned by unsuitable owners in another story.

And yes, I agree with everyone else, we should have a test for anyone wishing to own any type of dog, before they buy.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

You are labouring under a fond illusion. The RSPCA estimate that there are more 'type' dogs in the UK than in '91 when the Act was passed. Ellie Lawrenson was the first fatality from Pit bill attack in the UK and that happened sixteen years after the Act was passed.

Not that I want you to worry.
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »