Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Love it

She sounds rather similar to Dexter - he did the same thing with earth that he tipped out of a plant pot.....

They make us laugh though - and that's priceless
Oh gosh, very glad Molly has a preference for bins rather than plant pots like your dexter!

They do - menaces give you a lifetime of fun!

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I didnt know their was a miniture form of the doberman pincher they sure do look like the tiney version ^^
They may look like a tiny version but MinPins aren't miniature Dobes - although I don't think my Molly believes that, she certainly seems to think she's a big dog
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Im planning on getting a Miniture Shnauzer ive looked around and find they seem to meet all my requirements ive done some window shopping and im happy to pay good money for a pedigree with all the vet checks and the proof they are what the breeder says they are. And my price range for a Shnauzer is higher then £400.

Like you say 50 50 could work either with a pup when its grown up could end up with some behavioral problems as well as a rescue dog will probably have some issues. I dont like the idea of having a rescue as my first dog I have many a reason why not to get one.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Im planning on getting a Miniture Shnauzer ive looked around and find they seem to meet all my requirements ive done some window shopping and im happy to pay good money for a pedigree with all the vet checks and the proof they are what the breeder says they are. And my price range for a Shnauzer is higher then £400.

Like you say 50 50 could work either with a pup when its grown up could end up with some behavioral problems as well as a rescue dog will probably have some issues. I dont like the idea of having a rescue as my first dog I have many a reason why not to get one.
Fair enough.

Out of intrest what is it about rescue dogs that is off putting? I noticed you had posted on another thread, and deleted your comment shortly afterwards, but happened to notice you don't want a dog that already got a name?!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Not that I want to put you off Mini Schnauzers but just wanted to mention that mine was my first dog and she's proved to be anything BUT an easy first dog! She's had me on a steep learning curve and drives me completely insane some times. Of course, not every Schnauzer is like that but I wanted to give you a heads up.

Also please read this page for the essential health checks...
http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/health.shtml

A health check isn't just a quick once over from a vet it is specific tests carried out on all dogs before they are bred from.

J.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Forgot to add Mini Haha the moderator on here has Mini Schnauzers, and I believe she used to show or breed? She may be of help to point you in the right direction.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Miniature Schnauzers(to give them the right name ) can be very "terrier" like & need a lot of socialization & training to make them good pets. You will also need to find a good groomer to keep the coat in good condition or learn yourself how to trim & clip the coat
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Its nothing against rescue dogs ive all ready heard how some can make great pets I just don't want one at this time though even a friend of the family has given us a number to a rescue centre that she recomended after adopting a dog.
She said retired greyhounds are great! I know they need very little exercise despite what their bred for and have great temperments having known some lurchers and a greyhound. I felt a little sad though when mums friend said most of what she saw was actually staffordshires they have a high number of them in the kennels at the moment which is very sad given the right home a staffie makes a great dog, mums not so keen on them (staffordshire that is)) and I havent been able to persuaid her about them otherwise id adopt one in a jiffy ^^

The friend actually said the place she recomended us allows you to keep the dog for a week (not sure if this is standered for rescues) that way you can see if it will work out or not and they take them back if it doesnt this seems a very tempting offer something we may look into since its got the approval of someone we know didnt get the name of the place.

I think all terior type breeds have unique personalities and need a firm hand to tell them who is boss Schnouzers (the miniture) get bored if the training is repertive I watched a good example when a well trained dog had had enough but its owners gentle tone meant it could do more if told, they are independent and intellegent and like to explore knew things and places and a good 40 minute walk is needed.

Ah the snouhzer coat ive seen it come in a lot of varietys i think the type you pick will determin the amount of grooming you need and I have no problem spending time brushing the dog. I really like the cut with the short fur on the main body and really long fluffy fur on the legs looks really pretty :>
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Ah the snouhzer coat ive seen it come in a lot of varietys i think the type you pick will determin the amount of grooming you need and I have no problem spending time brushing the dog. I really like the cut with the short fur on the main body and really long fluffy fur on the legs looks really pretty :>
The Miniature Schnauzer does not have a variation of coat. What you have seen is dogs that have not been trimmed correctly or bred from dogs with incorrect coats. They should not have a"fluffy"coat. If you click on the red test in my post it will show you what a Miniature Schnauzer should look like & how it should be trimmed/clipped. You would need a lot of equipment or a good groomer to keep your dog correctly groomed
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Seeing poms mentioned, obviously I'm bias, but although they may be a toy group dog it's important to remember they are still a spitz type and do to an extent retain a few of the stereotypical spitz traits, they can be quite head strong and fiesty though are very bright dogs so once you've got them to do what you want are easy to train, very vocal wee souls, and can be very protective and are very loyal. Mine's got quite a quick prey drive, not high just very quick in the sense he switches on verrry quickly to rodents and birds. But I love him.
Seeing Japanese Chins mentioned too, I really like these dogs! Though from a bit of research their behaviour sounded so un-doggy, but I really have a soft spot for them. Like paps too if we're talking toy breeds,
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5