Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2006, 05:55 PM

Hydrotherapy - Missy's First Time

It's 6 weeks now since Missy had surgery on her leg. All is going well and my vet is pleased with her recovery. Yesterday, I took her to her first hydrotherapy session. I'd been there a few weeks ago with Dani (Brundog) and Bruno to see what happens. Well, Missy was very excited to be going in the car. She just couldn't contain her excitement when she met Isla and once we discussed what would be happening , it was time to go through to the pool. Missy was allowed to wander around and explore the area. She even walked up the ramp a couple of times. Then Isla put a lifejacket on her. That was ok as Missy wears a coat in the cold weather anyway. This time , she wasn't so confident about the ramp ! We got her to the top and when she saw the water The expression on her face changed dramatically. One happy dog was now worried. We let her stand there for a few minutes and made a fuss of her, then Isla lifted her into the pool. Missy's eyes at that point glazed over and she looked so scared. She stayed in the pool for 5 seconds then was allowed out and down the ramp. This was repeated another twice. End of session. Once out of the pool , Missy was once again a bouncy happy little girl. We told her how good she was and booked her in again for next week. Isla said Missy will need 12 sessions in the pool and it will take a few before she is confident. Missy slept all the way home, ( 40 miles), and was a tired little doggie last night. She is back to her normal self today except for a bit of a limp. Isla told me to expect that as swimming is more strenuous than running off lead. She goes back on Sunday for her next session.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
aawww poor missy - Bruno was exactly the same the first time he went in - and you saw his face when he was swimming the last time - he doesnt look as if he really loves it - he looks like he is putting up with it for my sake !! LOL

he is off to see isla 2moro so will probably hear all about it.

Glad missy wasnt too terrified and that she is doing well

take care
dani
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Dani, If dogs could talk, Missy would have been screaming " HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !" I got a soaking as she splashed enough to sink the Titanic . It was funny but I felt sorry for her at the same time. Maybe one day She will accept it just like Bruno. I'm sure she must have been thinking that we were trying to drown her .
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 06:39 PM
poor missy, diez started hydrotherapy after her cruciate ligament op and she loves it so much she still goes for fun and she takes my other dog along too lets just say pools and laney are not a good combination he hates it and splashes and fights although we had a breakthrough and realised he will swim if being turned in a circle he much prefers the water treadmill and is now up to a canter on that i am sure she will get used to the pool
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Awh, bless her. Well done Missy!
Hopefully she will gradually get used to it in time.