Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Cheers! Will do!

I don't suppose you got any ideas for introducing the cats to the puppy? I've got lots of sources and ideas already but still open to more suggestions.

Lottie x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Lottie I would only use a fine collar and lead to train a puppy, you may scare it with anything else and that is all that is needed anyway
Have you seen this new article on training puppies ..
suncaddie777
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
Thanks Julie, I will certainly try that!
Try Introdusing a cat very slowly, If you have a Puppy Cage that will help, as then You could try putting the puppy inside and Let your Cat Get to know pup Though the Cadge First with Know Problems, I have Done this in the past, I used to work For RSPCA a long time ago and that HOW my Boss told me to Do this with My Cats and new puppy and i will Say it Worked, But if You don,t have a Cage Then don,t WORRY as you Just need to Take it Slow and it will be ok Just Let the Cat On your Knee and Fuss Puppy @ the same time,
Give them Both Lots of Love and Treats at the Time Of giving Fuss. If i think of anything Else i,ll Let you KNOW.
Julie
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
With a small dog or a puppy spoon heeling will save a lot of the bending down to reward with treats
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
if you want to mp me i have an article i can send you how to train heelwork ..
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
With a small dog or a puppy spoon heeling will save a lot of the bending down to reward with treats
And what is spoon heeling? I have read your article and didn't see it.

It would be fantastic if I didn't have to bend as much as I do have a problem with bending a lot! (Thought it would be something I'd just have to do!)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Lottie

No, spoon heeling is not mentioned in the article.

What you do is have a wooden spoon coated with something such as peanut butter or soft cheese. When the pup is walking at heel position he gets a lick of the spoon Hold the spoon up at thigh or waist level (by your left shoulder once he gets the hang of it) and he will focus on the spoon which he knows is his reward. You just drop it down to his level for a quick lick when he is walking nicely. You phase out the spoon once he knows what 'heel' means and the pup should still focus on your left hand from which he will still get an occasional treat.The method is used quite a lot in the US to start teaching puppies to heel.

You have to accustom him to it before you start so that he knows it is a reward.

SB
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 10:05 PM
ha, if itried that with wilson he would knock me to the floor to get the spoon. don't think it would work. sounds like a good idea for a smaller dog.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks SB - may give it a try!
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Lottie,

With the walking at heal question, we started both dogs like this as soon as we got them home home. They have had a collar on since day one and they are still wearing one now (obviously not the same one!). The reason we chose to have them wear a collar all the time is because if they gets out then people know they is looked after and there is a contact number they can use. Only time thy ever gets the collar off is for a groom and when they are swimming in the reeds so they dont get caught up. Bothh dogs have red nylon collars, I cannot remember who they are made by but we got ours from Fishers pet shop in Hillsboro and they have a good range, right from puppy to adult, also they are adjustable as they grow. I think they are about £5. We made sure once or twice a day after the initial settling in period (about a week) we put molly on the lead and walked her round the house teaching her heal. I think sometimes people are under the impression that puppies cannot be taught this till they can go out, you could also try this round the garden.

As for introducing the cat and puppy. We did it like this,

When we bought Molly home we waited to introduce them until Molly had been here for a day or so, because we wanted her to settle down and get used to her new surroundings cos too much happening at once isnt reccomended. We put our cat in the living room and sat him down made sure he was ok to stay and then my dad bought molly in on her lead, and let her calmly walk up to our cat who was layed on the sofa, he let her sniff him and he was quite happy to let her do this, then dad sat on the floor with molly so she could look at the cat and get used to him being there, we did this a few times gradually getting rid of the lead and molly being held and if she got too playful she either got told by our cat or told by my dad and now they are all best of friends!

HTH
Love Frances x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >